George Herbert Carpenter
|George Herbert Carpenter|
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Fields||Entomology, Natural History|
|Institutions||Museum of Science and Art, Dublin|
George Herbert Carpenter (1865–1939) was a British naturalist and entomologist, born in the Peckham district of southeast London in 1865, and died in Belfast on 22 January 1939. His main interests were in the study of insects and arachnids, zoogeography, and economic zoology. In addition to numerous contributions to scientific journals and Encyclopædia Britannica, he authored five books:
- Insects: Their Structure & Life, A Primer of Entomology. London: J. M. Dent, 1899.
- Catalogue of the Fishes of New York (with Tarleton Hoffman Bean). New York State Museum Bulletin No. 60; Zoology, No. 9. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1903.
- The Life-story of Insects. Cambridge: University press, and G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1913.
- Insect Transformation. London: Methuen, 1921.
- The Biology of Insects. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1928.
Education and career
Carpenter was privately educated as a youth, and studied at King's College London, earning a Bachelor of Science degree at London University and a Doctor of Science degree from Queen's University Belfast.
His first employment as a naturalist was as a clerk in the South Kensington Museum, where he pursued an interest in the natural history of Ireland. In 1888, he took a position in Dublin, Ireland as Assistant Naturalist at the Museum of Science and Art, Dublin, devoting the next 16 years to developing the museum's collections on the natural history of Ireland.
- "Carpenter, George Herbert". Who's Who. Vol. 59. 1907. p. 297.
- Charles B. Moffat (1939). "Rev. George Herbert Carpenter, B.Sc. (Lond.), D.Sc. (Q.U.B.)". Irish Naturalists' Journal 7 (5): 138–141. JSTOR 25532901.
- Henry R. Addison, Charles H. Oakes, William J. Lawson, and Douglas B. W. Sladen (eds.). 1907. Who's Who, An Annual Biographical Dictionary. London: Adam and Charles Black; New York: The Macmillan Company, Vol. 59, p. 297.
- James McGuire & James Quinn (eds.): Dictionary of Irish Biography From the Earliest Times to the Year 2002, Royal Irish Academy, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England, 2009, pp. 364-365.
- George Herbert Carpenter, (1865–1939), Wikisource, http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:George_Herbert_Carpenter, last modified on 27 June 2011.
- Moffat, 1939.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
George Herbert Carpenter
- Works by George Herbert Carpenter at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about George Herbert Carpenter at Internet Archive