George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon
George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon (1488 – 24 March 1544) was an English nobleman.
George Hastings, born in 1488 at Ashby-de-la-Zouch, was the son of Edward Hastings, 2nd Baron Hastings, and Mary Hungerford, daughter and heiress of Sir Thomas Hungerford of Rowden, Wiltshire, by Anne Percy, daughter of Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland, and Eleanor Neville, daughter of Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland.
Hastings was created a Knight of the Bath in November 1501, and succeeded to his father's title between 4 and 15 November 1506. In 1513 he served with King Henry VIII's army in France, and was present when both Therouanne and Tournai were taken by the English forces. He was present at the 1520 meeting between Henry VIII and Francis I of France now known as Field of the Cloth of Gold and when Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor visited England in 1522.
He was created Earl of Huntingdon on 8 December 1529. On the same day his eldest son, Francis, gained a seat at the so-called Reformation Parliament. In 1536 he held a command in the forces which put down the rebellion called the Pilgrimage of Grace.
Huntingdon was a close friend of the King. His wife, Anne, was the King's mistress in 1510, and possibly until 1513. She was later prosecuted for adultery with another of her husband's friends, William Compton.
Marriage and issue
George Hastings married, about December 1509, Anne Stafford, widow of Sir Walter Herbert (died 16 December 1507). She was the daughter of Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, and Katherine Woodville, the daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers, by Jacquetta of Luxembourg, daughter of Pierre de Luxembourg, Count of St. Pol.
George Hastings and Anne Stafford had five sons and three daughters:
- Francis Hastings, 2nd Earl of Huntingdon (1514 – 25 January 1569). Father of both Henry Hastings, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon and George Hastings, 4th Earl of Huntingdon.
- Sir Thomas Hastings. Married Winifred Pole, daughter of Henry Pole, 1st Baron Montagu and Jane Neville. Jane was a daughter of George Nevill, 5th Baron Bergavenny and his wife Margaret, daughter of Hugh Fenn.
- Edward Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings of Loughborough.
- Henry Hastings.
- William Hastings.
- Dorothy Hastings, who married Sir Richard Devereux, a son of Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford. They were parents of Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex.
- Mary Hastings, who married Thomas Berkeley, 6th Baron Berkeley.
- Katherine Hastings.
|Ancestors of George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon|
- Richardson II 2011, pp. 372, 431; Richardson III 2011, pp. 343–4.
- "George Hastings , 3rd Baron Hastings". Luminarium. Retrieved 3 August 2019.
- Cokayne 1926, p. 654.
- Cokayne 1926, p. 655.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 13 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 949. .
- Hart 2009, pp. 21–29.
- Cokayne 1959, p. 738 harvnb error: no target: CITEREFCokayne1959 (help); Richardson IV 2011, p. 82 harvnb error: no target: CITEREFRichardson_IV2011 (help); Dockray 2004.
- Richardson II 2011, p. 374.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1926). The Complete Peerage edited by H.A. Doubleday, Duncan Warrand, and Lord Howard de Walden. VI. London: St Catherine Press.
- Cross, Claire (2004). "Hastings, George, first earl of Huntingdon (1486/7–1544)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/12570. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Davies, C.S.L. (2004). "Stafford, Henry, second duke of Buckingham (1455–1483)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/26204. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Dockray, Keith (2004). "Stafford, Henry, earl of Wiltshire (c. 1479–1523)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/70804. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Hart, Kelly (2009). The Mistresses of Henry VIII. The History Press. ISBN 978-0-7524-4835-0.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G. (ed.). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. II (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 978-1449966386.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G. (ed.). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 978-1449966393.
|Peerage of England|
|New title|| Earl of Huntingdon
| Baron Hastings|
| Baron Botreaux|
Baron de Moleyns