George Hotel, Huddersfield
The George Hotel in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England, is a Grade II listed building famous as the birthplace of rugby league football in 1895. The 60 bed hotel was built in 1851 and closed in January 2013, with the receivers looking for a new buyer.
Birth of Rugby League
It was in the George Hotel, Huddersfield on 29 August 1895 that 21 Lancashire and Yorkshire clubs held a meeting and by a majority of 20 to 1 voted to secede from the Rugby Football Union to set up their own Northern Rugby Football Union. In 1922 this became the Rugby Football League.
Stockport was also accepted into the league via telephone to the hotel.
Memorabilia recalling the meeting can be found throughout the hotel as well as in the Heritage Centre.
British Amateur Rugby League Association
The British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) was also founded at the George Hotel in 1973.
Rugby League Heritage Centre
The Rugby League Heritage Centre was located in the basement of the George. It was the UK’s only rugby league heritage museum. It was the brainchild of sports presenter Mike Stephenson.
Within the centre were displays of memorabilia, including rare jerseys, medals, caps, programmes and photographs. There was also footage played on several plasma screens. The British Rugby League Hall of Fame is now located in the Heritage Centre.
National Rugby League Museum
- Grade II* listed buildings in Kirklees
- Listed buildings in Huddersfield (Newsome Ward - central area)
- "The George Hotel". The George Hotel. Archived from the original on 25 July 2008. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- "Huddersfield's historic George Hotel closes". BBC News. 3 January 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Property Information: George Hotel, Huddersfield". Direct Hotels. Archived from the original on 6 April 2008. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- "George Hotel". Expedia. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- "West Yorkshire in 360°! - Founders' Room, Huddersfield". British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- "Rugby League Founders' Room". British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- "Gillette Rugby League Heritage Centre". Rugby League Heritage Centre. Archived from the original on 21 October 2008. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- "George Hotel to house the National Rugby League Museum". Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- Robinson, Andrew (2 April 2019). "Hive of activity as former George Hotel is 'set alight' by film crew". YorkshireLive. Retrieved 4 March 2021.