George Howard, Baron Howard of Henderskelfe
Howard was a younger son of Geoffrey Howard and Ethel Christian Methuen, and grandson of the 9th Earl of Carlisle and the 3rd Baron Methuen. He was educated at Eton and Balliol College, Oxford and fought in the Second World War with the Green Howards, being wounded in Burma. In 1952 Howard was appointed to the office of Justice of the Peace for Yorkshire
He was chairman of the Board of Governors of the BBC from 1980 to 1983 after being a governor for eight years. He was made a life peer 1 July 1983 with the title Baron Howard of Henderskelfe, of Henderskelfe in the County of North Yorkshire.
- Hon Henry Francis Geoffrey Howard (born 17 March 1950, died 17 April 2008)
- Hon Nicholas Paul Geoffrey Howard (born 25 April 1952)
- Hon Simon Bartholomew Geoffrey Howard (born 26 January 1956)
- Hon Anthony Michael Geoffrey Howard (born 18 May 1958)
- The London Gazette: . 6 July 1983.
- The Peerage, entry for Lord Howard of Henderskelfe
|Chairman of the BBC Board of Governors
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a life peer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|