George J. Efstathiou
|George J. Efstathiou|
|Practice||Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP|
|Buildings||Burj Khalifa, Infinity Tower, Rolex Tower|
George J. Efstathiou, FAIA, RIBA is an American architect of Greek descent. George has been with Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, LLP (SOM) since 1974, and is a Consulting Partner in the Chicago office.
As Managing Partner at SOM, George has led numerous mixed-use projects throughout the world, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Brazil, Canada, People's Republic of China, Hungary, Korea, Malaysia, Russia, Lebanon, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. George lectures frequently on projects, particularly the Burj Khalifa.
When George’s career with Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, LLP began in 1974, his first 10 years with the firm focused primarily on domestic projects, including work in Boston, Los Angeles and Chicago. George began his international focus in 1985, when he was a part of the SOM team that designed a 6,000,000-square-foot (560,000 m2) Broadgate project over the air rights of the Liverpool Street Station in London. In order to follow through of the management and execution of the Broadgate project, in 1989 George relocated from Chicago to live and work in London for two years. During his time in London, he studied and gained a full understanding, knowledge and experience of the U.K. practice methods and techniques for the delivery of professional architectural services which, next to the U.S. techniques, are widely used around the world. It is here where George was able to obtain his licensure in the U.K.
University of Illinois at Chicago, Bachelor of Architecture, 1974
- Registered Architect in Illinois, New York, Virginia, Missouri, Arizona, Ohio, Alabama, South Carolina, New Mexico, Massachusetts, Iowa and Tennessee
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
- Architectural Registration Council of the United Kingdom
- Fellow, American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
- University of Illinois, Chicago, School of Architecture Advisory Board, Member
- Urban Land Institute, Member
- City Club of Chicago, Member
- Executive Club of Chicago, Member
- University of Illinois, Chicago, Ill. (Present) College of Art & Architecture Visiting Committee. The board position was established to advise the College with particular emphasis on the School of Architecture.
- University of Illinois, Chicago, Ill. (2000–2005) School of Architecture Advisory Board. The board position was established to advise the School of Architecture.
- Burj Khalifa
- Infinity Tower
- Rolex Tower
- Virginia Beach Convention Center, Virginia Beach, USA
- The Montgomery Residential Project, Chicago, Illinois
- BankBoston, São Paulo, Brazil
- Plaza Rakyat, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Symphony Center, Orchestra Hall Renovation, Chicago, Illinois
- Bahrain National Planning Development Strategy, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Burj Al Oula, Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
- Korea World Trade Center, Seoul, Korea
- Virginia Beach Performing Arts Center, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Virginia Beach 19th Street Corridor, Virginia Beach, USA
- United Airlines World Headquarters & Corporate Campus, Chicago, Illinois
- Metropolitan Financial Corporation, Cleveland, Ohio
- Russia Tower, Moscow, Russia
- Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, St. Louis, Missouri & Washington D.C.
- Commonwealth Expansion, Chicago, Illinois
- USG Building, Chicago, Illinois
- Brompton Cross, London, United Kingdom
- Stockley Park Consortium, Ltd., Uxbridge, United Kingdom
- Ludgate Development, London, United Kingdom
- Broadgate Development, London, United Kingdom
- 75 State Street, Boston, Massachusetts
- Kings Cross, London, United Kingdom
- Natural Gas Pipeline Company of America, Lombard, Illinois
- Citicorp Plaza, Los Angeles, California
- 211 East Ohio Street, Chicago, Illinois
- Atrium One, Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Bay Club, Boston, Massachusetts
- 60 State Street, Boston, Massachusetts
- Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
- William F. Baker (engineer)
- Roger Duffy
- Philip Enquist
- T.J. Gottesdiener
- Ross Wimer
- Craig W. Hartman
- ""The Burj Dubai Lectures: Why Dubai?" Sponsored by The Skyscraper Museum".
- "AIA Announces the Names of 112 New Fellows".
- "RIBA Membership".
- "Now Introducing the Burj Dubai".
- “Free-D High Rises”, Dr. Karel Vollers, Structure, June 2008
- "Skidmore, Owings & Merrill’s Design for the Virginia Beach Convention Center Wins National Award".
- “Grand Plan for Sound Growth”, Soman Baby, Gulf Daily News, May 17, 2008