George J. Hazel
|George Jarrod Hazel|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland|
May 2, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Alexander Williams, Jr.|
|Born||George Jarrod Hazel
March 19, 1975
New York City, New York
|Education||Morehouse College (B.A.)
Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
George Jarrod Hazel (born March 19, 1975) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and former Chief Deputy State's Attorney for Baltimore, Maryland.
Born in New York City, Hazel received a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, in 1996, from Morehouse College. He received a Juris Doctor in 1999 from Georgetown University Law Center. He began his legal career as an associate at the law firm of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, in Washington, D.C., from 1999 to 2004. He served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia, from 2005 to 2008 and in the District of Maryland, from 2008 to 2010. From 2011 until his confirmation as a federal judge in 2014, he served as Chief Deputy State's Attorney for Baltimore, Maryland.
Federal judicial service
On September 25, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Hazel to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, to the seat vacated by Judge Alexander Williams, Jr., who took senior status on May 8, 2013. On January 16, 2014, his nomination was reported out of committee. On April 29, 2014, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on Hazel's nomination. On Thursday May 1, 2014, the Senate voted 55-42 to invoke cloture on Hazel's nomination. Later that same day, the Senate voted 95-0 to confirm Hazel to the seat. He received his judicial commission on May 2, 2014. Upon his swearing in, Hazel was told he is the youngest United States district judge.
- MyLife.com profile
- "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Courts". whitehouse.gov. Office of the Press Secretary. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Hazel, George Jarrod - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 128. United States Senate.
- Duncan, Ian (15 May 2014). "New generation of federal judges seated". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- George J. Hazel at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- George Jarrod Hazel at Ballotpedia
Alexander Williams, Jr.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland