Kalogridis at the Disneyland Resort 55th Anniversary celebration
|Born||c. 1954 (age 62–63)
|Alma mater||University of Central Florida|
|Occupation||President, Walt Disney World Resort|
Early life and education
Kalogridis was born and raised in Central Florida, and is of Jewish Greek ancestry; the Greek spelling of his name is Γιώργος Καλογρίδης. He attended the University of Central Florida and earned a degree in Sociology.
Kalogridis has a long history with The Walt Disney Company. He has worked with the company almost exclusively for 40 years. Kalogridis first started working for Disney while he was in college. He bussed tables at Disney's Contemporary Resort when The Walt Disney Resort first opened in 1971.
Kalogridis quickly moved up the ladder in The Walt Disney Company, becoming Vice President of Operations at Epcot, Senior Vice President at the Disneyland Resort from 2000 to 2002, Vice President at the Disney Reservation Center in Orlando from 2002 to 2006, Chief Operating Officer (CEO) at Disneyland Paris from 2006 to 2009, and President of the Disneyland Resort from 2009 to 2013.
Kalogridis was named President of The Walt Disney World Resort on January 9, 2013.
In 1999, a customer wrote a letter to Kalogridis, then Vice President of Epcot, voicing his dissatisfaction with a rehab of a ride. Kalogridis personally called him at home. “I was floored,” the customer said. “He must have been hearing from hundreds of people. For him to make the rounds, I was really impressed by that.”
While working as the manager of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, a hostess stated that she wished that the grass was dry, since the hotel was going to host a convention on the lawn soon. Kalogridis took some employees and towels with him and dried the lawn off with towels. “That’s the attention to detail – and how he’ll do everything possible for guests – that George is famous for,” Meg Crofton, then President of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, said.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George Kalogridis.|
- "Key Leadership Changes Announced at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts" (Press release). Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. January 9, 2013. Archived from the original on January 11, 2013. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
Effective February 1, 2013
- "Walt Disney World names new president George Kalogridis". cfnews13.com. January 9, 2013. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- Bilbao, Richard (2013-01-09). "Meet new Walt Disney World President George Kalogridis". Orlando Business Journal. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- Tully, Sarah. "Bio of George Kalogridis, new Disneyland Resort president", The Orange County Register, 12 October 2009. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "New Disneyland Resort president gives inside look". Orange County Register. Archived from the original on 20 July 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Tully, Sarah. "New Disneyland Resort president gives inside look", The Orange County Register, 15 March 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "George Kalogridis Becomes Walt Disney World's First Openly Gay President". Huffington Post. 5 February 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "George Kalogridis is the new president of Florida's Walt Disney World Resort". pappaspost.com. Retrieved 8 June 2013.