|Member of Parliament|
for East Lothian
8 May 2015 – 3 May 2017
|Preceded by||Fiona O'Donnell|
|Succeeded by||Martin Whitfield|
28 September 1949|
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Labour (Before 1996)|
Scottish National Party (1996–
|Alma mater||University of Glasgow|
George Kerevan (born 28 September 1949) is a Scottish journalist, economist, and Scottish National Party politician. He was the Member of Parliament (MP) for East Lothian from 2015, until he lost his seat at the snap 2017 general election.
Early life and education
Kerevan held academic posts at Napier College, including Senior Lecturer in Economics, from 1975–2000, specialising in energy economics. He was associate editor of The Scotsman from 2000 to 2009, and was the chief executive of What If Productions (Television) Ltd. He is co-organiser of the Prestwick World Festival of Flight.
Kerevan was a member of the International Marxist Group, a Trotskyist group, between 1972-77. He later served as a Labour councillor in Edinburgh from 1984–1996. In 1996, he left Labour to join the Scottish National Party. He went on to stand unsuccessfully as the SNP candidate for Edinburgh East at the 2010 UK general election, as well as an SNP candidate in the Lothian region in the 2011 Scottish Parliament election.
Kerevan eventually stood successfully as the SNP candidate for East Lothian at the 2015 UK general election. He won 25,104 votes, a majority of 6,803, and unseated the then-incumbent Labour MP Fiona O'Donnell. He was a member of the House of Commons Treasury Select Committee. He subsequently lost his seat in the 2017 snap election to Martin Whitfield of the Labour Party, who won with a majority of 3,083 votes over Kerevan.
He is the co-author, with Alan Cochrane, of Scottish Independence: Yes or No, published in April 2014.
- Kerevan, George (1985). The case for Scottish coal.
- Kerevan, George (1986). The case for retaining a European coal industry: a critical response to the EEC Coal Directorate's close-and-import plan as laid out in COM (85)251 and COM (85)525.
- Kerevan, George (1987). The case for retaining Seafield: a special report on Seafield Colliery and the reasons why Seafield coal is vital to Scotland's energy future.
- Kerevan, George (1988). Scottish coalfields study 1988. Scottish Coal Project.
- Kerevan, George; Scottish Coal Project (1988). A plan for Scotland's energy future. Scottish Coal Project.
- Swanson, Ian (9 May 2015). "SNP brings seismic shift to Edinburgh politics". Evening News. Johnston Press. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Dalton, Alastair (6 March 2013). "Twin Pin planes to fly for Scottish homecoming trip". The Scotsman. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- "Defending a socialist programme". Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Denver, DT (2000). Scotland decides: the devolution issue and the 1997 referendum. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-7146-5053-1.
- "Treasury Committee - membership". House of Commons. 8 July 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Articles authored at Journalisted
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for East Lothian