George Kinnaird, 9th Lord Kinnaird
The Lord Kinnaird
The Lord Kinnaird by William Brodie 1859, NGS.
|Master of the Buckhounds|
21 December 1839 – 30 August 1841
|Prime Minister||The Viscount Melbourne|
|Preceded by||The Earl of Erroll|
|Succeeded by||The Earl of Rosslyn|
|Born||14 April 1807|
|Died||7 January 1878(aged 70)|
|Spouse(s)||Hon. Frances Anne Georgina Ponsonby (1817–1910)|
Kinnaird succeeded his father in the lordship of Kinnaird in 1826. This was a Scottish peerage and did not entitle him to an automatic seat in the House of Lords. However, in 1831 he was created Baron Rossie, of Rossie Priory in the County of Perth, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, which gave him a seat in the upper chamber of Parliament. In December 1839 he was appointed Master of the Buckhounds under Lord Melbourne, a post he held until the government fell in 1841. He was sworn of the Privy Council in early 1840. In 1857 he was made a Knight of the Thistle. Three years later he was created Baron Kinnaird, of Rossie in the County of Perth, also in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. In contrast to the earlier barony, which was created with normal remainder to heirs male, this barony was created with special remainder to his younger brother, Arthur. Kinnaird later served as Lord Lieutenant of Perthshire from 1866 to 1878.
- Hon. Olivia Barbara Kinnaird (died 1871).
- Victor Alexander Kinnaird, Master of Kinnaird (1840–1851).
- Charles Fox Kinnaird, Master of Kinnaird (1841–1860).
Lord Kinnaird died in January 1878, aged 70, without surviving male issue. The barony of Rossie became extinct on his death while he was succeeded in the Scottish lordship and barony of Kinnaird by his younger brother, Arthur. Lady Kinnaird died in March 1910, aged 92.
- "No. 18814". The London Gazette. 17 June 1831. p. 1193.
- "No. 19806". The London Gazette. 24 December 1839. p. 2677.
- "No. 20017". The London Gazette. 10 September 1841. p. 2273.
- "No. 19815". The London Gazette. 17 January 1840. p. 106.
- leighrayment.com Knights of the Thistle
- "No. 22416". The London Gazette. 24 August 1860. p. 3121.
- leighrayment.com Peerage: Kilmaule to Kynnaird
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Kinnaird
The Earl of Erroll
| Master of the Buckhounds
The Earl of Rosslyn
The Earl of Kinnoull
| Lord Lieutenant of Perthshire
The Duke of Atholl
| Grand Master of the
Grand Lodge of Scotland
The Earl of Buchan
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Lord Kinnaird
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baron Rossie
| Baron Kinnaird
|This biography of a Lord of Parliament in the Peerage of Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|