George Kollias (drummer)
August 30, 1977 |
|Genres||Death metal, black metal, gothic metal, thrash metal|
|Instruments||Drums, guitar, bass, keyboards, percussion, vocals|
|Labels||Relapse, Nuclear Blast|
|Associated acts||Contrarian, Cerebrum, The Circle of Zaphyan, Extremity Obsession, Nightfall, Nile, Sickening Horror, Demonstealer|
Georgios "George" Kollias (born August 30, 1977 in Corinth, Greece) is a Greek heavy metal drummer and music teacher best known for his work with American technical death metal band Nile. He is the first Nile drummer to perform every song on more than one full-length album (handling drum duties so far on Annihilation of the Wicked, Ithyphallic, Those Whom the Gods Detest and At the Gate of Sethu). His sponsors include Sabian, Evans and Vic Firth. In addition to being the drummer of Nile he also teaches drums at the Modern Music School in Athens.
He started playing drums, self-taught, at the age of 12, covering songs of his favorite bands like Sepultura and Slayer. Around 1999, he started drum lessons with Greek drummer Yannis Stavropoulos, who was a big influence on Kollias.
His early inspirations include Richard Christy, Paul Bostaph, Pete Sandoval, Dave Lombardo, Igor Cavalera, Gene Hoglan and Lars Ulrich. Later his taste expanded to different drummers like Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Thomas Lang, and Mike Mangini.
A press release dated April 5, 2012, announced Kollias's recruitment for session drums on the Wagnerian Opera Metal project Lyraka's upcoming album.
He has a brother named Iraklis Kollias, who was the guitarist for the band Extremity Obsession.
Kollias uses a foot technique in between heel up and heel down. His heels remain close to the bases of the pedals, but he doesn't actually touch the pedal board. All the weight of his legs fall on the balls of his feet. When playing at slower bpms, Kollias's legs do the vast majority of the movement of a kick, moving up and down as much as the pedal does itself. However, as his speed increases, the heels of his feet move less and less, until the bpm is high enough that all the movement of the pedals stems from his ankles. Once he gets up to speeds that are this fast, he employs a swivel technique. In this technique, he uses his feet to keep count of the beats he has hit, moving his ankles to the right side of the pedal and then swinging them over to the other side of the pedal. In this way, as he explains, the extra energy that one's legs waste when they work so hard is utilized.
Kollias's hand technique allows him great precision as well, though it is not nearly as individualistic as his foot technique. Kollias grips the stick fully with his index through ring finger, letting them stretch forward and wrap around the stick. He does not use his thumb and index finger to create a swivel. Instead, all of his speed stems from his wrists, much like his ankle usage in the kick.
- Annihilation of the Wicked (2005)
- Ithyphallic (2007)
- Those Whom the Gods Detest (2009)
- At the Gate of Sethu (2012)
- What Should Not Be Unearthed (2015)
- Spectral Extravagance (2009)
- Cosmic Enigma (2013)
With Sickening Horror
- When Landscapes Bled Backwards (2007)
With Extremity Obsession
- Extremity Obsession (Demo, 1996)
- Everlasting (Demo, 1997)
With Deus Infestus
- Swansongs For This Stillborn Race (2010)
- Intense Metal Drumming DVD (DVD, 2008)
- Intense Metal Drumming II DVD (DVD, 2012)
- Invictus (LP, 2015)
- Spartacus (2013)
- Valkyrja (2013)
- Predestined (2014)
- Polemic (2015)
- This Burden Is Mine (2016)
- "NILE Drummer To Release Solo Album In The Fall". Blabbermouth.net. May 15, 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "George Kollias". Drummerworld. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "George Kollias". Pearleurope.com. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "[Interview] George Kollias (NILE)". Ginnungagapmetal.de. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Bender, Frank. George Kollias - Exclusive OnlineDrummer.com Interview onlinedrummer.com. 2009-06-26. Retrieved on 2010-07-18.
- "George Kollias - Intense Metal Drumming DVD (part 1) preview". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "GEORGE KOLLIAS-INTENSE METAL DRUMMING DVD-OUT NOW!!!: Intense Metal Drumming preview". Youtube.com. 2008-07-12. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
-  Archived April 9, 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "» George Kollias Biography, Drum Videos and Pictures | Famous Drummers". Drumlessons.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "George Kollias Foot technique". YouTube. 2006-06-30. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "George Kollias Blast Beat". YouTube. 2009-07-11. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "Vic Firth Artist: George Kollias". Vicfirth.com. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "George Kollias | SABIAN Cymbals". Sabian.com. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "Artist Drumsets". Evans Drumheads. Retrieved 2011-10-20.