George Long (footballer)
|Full name||George Martin Long|
|Date of birth||5 November 1993|
|Place of birth||Sheffield, England|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|2014||→ Oxford United (loan)||10||(0)|
|2015||→ Motherwell (loan)||13||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16 August 2016 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 11:31, 23 June 2013 (UTC)
George Martin Long (born 5 November 1993) is an English footballer who plays for Sheffield United as a goalkeeper. Born in Sheffield, South Yorkshire he came through the youth ranks at his hometown club before making the break into the first team, and has also represented England at Under 18 level. Long has previously had loan spells at Oxford United and Motherwell.
Long made his début for the Blades at the beginning of May 2011, starting the last game of the 2010–11 season against Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium, in doing so becoming the youngest goalkeeper to play in a league game for the Blades in the club's history at just 17 years 183 days. Long was a member of the team that reached the final of the FA Youth Cup in 2011, only to lose to Manchester United. After a couple more first-team appearances he was handed a new long-term deal in February 2012 to keep him at Bramall Lane until the summer of 2016.
Long started the following season as second choice behind Mark Howard but, after an injury to Howard in October 2012, became the side's regular stopper. During his initial run in the team he conceded only one goal in 5 league appearances and was subsequently awarded League One 'Player of the Month' for October, followed by the Blades supporters' Player of the Month for November 2012. Long retained his place in the first team, despite the signing of experienced former Welsh international keeper Danny Coyne, and in March 2013 he was named Football League Young Player of the Month for February, following six consecutive clean sheets over the period. Long remained United's first-choice keeper and finished the season having played 44 times in all competitions.
On 25 July 2014, Long joined Oxford United on a six-month loan deal to play first-team football having dropped to second-choice keeper at Bramall Lane behind Mark Howard. In November, Blades manager Nigel Clough recalled Long from his loan spell after Oxford manager Michael Appleton revealed that Long was no longer part of his plans and had been dropped from the first team to make way for further loan signings.
On 2 February 2015, Long signed for Scottish Premiership club Motherwell on loan until the end of the 2014–15 season. Long helped Motherwell preserve their top flight status with a 6-1 aggregate win over Rangers in the Scottish Premiership playoff Final.
After returning to Sheffield United, Long started the 2015-16 season as first choice keeper after impressing new manager Nigel Adkins. However, after a disappointing loss to Gillingham in the first match of the season, Long was replaced by Mark Howard. Long was still used in cup matches and performed well saving two out of five penalties in a shoot out against Hartlepool United in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Long returned to first choice in November 2015 against Southend United. Some good performances led to him twice being named in the Sky Bet Football League Team of the week in December 2015.
Long made his England U18 début in April 2011, coming on as a second-half substitute during a 1–1 draw with Italy in Carpi. Following a successful 2012–13 season, Long was selected in the provisional 35-man squad for the 2013 FIFA Under 20 World Cup, and was later confirmed as part of the 21-man squad for the finals themselves. Long featured in a pre-tournament practice match against Uruguay, but failed to make any competitive appearances during the tournament. On 8 August 2013 Long got his first call up to the England U21 team for the match against Scotland U21s on 13 August at Sheffield United's Bramall Lane. Upon his first call up to the U21s Long stated "It makes it a bit more special that it’s at Bramall Lane. There will be a great atmosphere there and a packed stadium, so I’m looking forward to it." On 27 August 2013 Long was called up for the England U21s again under new boss Gareth Southgate for matches against Moldova U21s and Finland U21s for Group 1 2015 U-21 Euro Qualifier matches and once more in November for matches against San Marino U21s and Finland's U21s again.
- As of 5 June 2015.
|Club||Season||Division||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Sheffield United total||97||0||11||0||1||0||9||0||118||0|
|Oxford United (loan)||2014–15||League Two||10||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||11||0|
|Motherwell (loan)||2014–15||Scottish Premiership||13||0||0||0||0||0||2||0||15||0|
- League One 'Player of the Month' : October 2012
- Football League Young Player of the Month: February 2013
- "Professional retain list & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 18 May 2013. p. 44. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Swansea V Sheffield United". BBC Sport. 7 May 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Blades 2–2 Man Utd – match report". Sheffield United F.C. 20 May 2011. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "New deal for young keeper". Sheffield United FC Official Web Site. 16 June 2012. Archived from the original on 6 June 2012. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Long named Player of the Month". The Football League. 18 November 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "November Player of the Month". Sheffield United FC Official Web Site. 18 December 2012. Retrieved 23 December 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Coyne lands Blades deal". The Sheffield Star. 17 November 2012. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Long named Young Player of the Month". The Football League. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Games played by George Long in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- "George Long: Oxford United sign Sheffield United keeper on loan". BBC Sport. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Sheffield United: Blades hold financial talks over goalkeeper". Sheffield Star. 25 November 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "'Keeper Long joins from Sheff Utd". Motherwell F.C. 1 February 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "'Stopper signs". Sheffield United F.C. 15 June 2016. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- "Italy vs England". thefa.com. 2 April 2011. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- "England recognition for George". Sheffield United FC Official Web Site. 17 May 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- "World Cup awaits George". Sheffield United FC Official Web Site. 28 May 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Training win for Three Lions". The FA. 16 June 2013. Archived from the original on 24 June 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "George Long". The FA. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "Long earns England call". thestar.co.uk. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Watching and learning". The Football Association Official Website. 12 August 2013. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "England call for George". Sheffield United FC Official Website. 27 August 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "SUFC Long in England squad". vitalfootball.co.uk. 8 November 2013. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- George Long at Soccerbase. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George Long (footballer).|