2 April 1938 |
Kattur, Thrissur, Kerala
|Known for||Thomapedia, Saint Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India|
George Menachery is a professor, anthropologist, indologist, historian of Syro Malabar Church and history of Kerala. He is the editor of the St. Thomas Christian Encyclopedia of India and the Indian Church History Classics. Menachery is also the recipient of the 'Order of Saint Gregory the Great', known as the title of "Chevalier".
Menachery was born on 2 April 1938 in Kattur, Thrissur, Kerala. He started his career as teacher and retired as Post Graduate Professor and Head of the Department of English from the St. Thomas College, Thrissur. For the past thirty years he has been teaching theologians as a visiting professor of Sacred Art (both Indian and Western Christian Art and Architecture) at the Pontifical Theology Institute, Alwaye.
He won a number of awards including the Mar Thoma Puraskaram (Changanassery), KCBC Tathvika Vaignanika Award (Kochi), P. Thomas History Award (Trichur), Nedumkunnam History Award of Kerala History Congress, First Syro Malabar Church Award for Historical, Archaeological, and Architectural studies (LRC) (Kakkanad, Ernakulam), John Alenchery History Award (USA-Vadavathoor), Darshana Award...
Menachery was a member of the Senate of the Calicut University, Senate's representative in the University Stautory Finance Committee, Chief Ed. of Sahitya Academy's Malayalam Literary Surveyand executive committee member of the Kerala Sahitya Academy, member of the Kerala Govt. Archaeology Advisory Board,National Vice-President of the Newman Association of India (Bombay) 1964-72, President Kalasadan (1984–92), Vice-president and Secretary General of the Church History Association of India, Executive Committee Member of the Kerala History Association (Ernakulam)for four three year terms,Vice-President of the Kerala History Congress, founder president of the Kerala Historical Research Society, and is at present Chairman of the Board of Studies, PG Dept. of Cultural Heritage Studies, Malayalam University, and a member of the Governing Body of the Christian Chair of the Calicut University. Menachery was instrumental in setting up Christian Cultural Museums at Trichur Cathedral (1980), Kakkanad, and Palayoor.He was in charge of the Christian Pavilion at First World Malayalam Conference (Kanakakkunnu, Trivandrum, 1977), Malankara Golden Jubilee EXPO, Kottayam, 1981..He was present in Rome for the elections of John Paul II (1978) and Pope Francis (2013) as a Vatican accredited press correspondent. In addition to his many TV appearances in India and abroad he also collaborated with Channel 4, Munich TV, The National Geographic, The BBC, The CNN &c. in the production of documentaries w.s.r.t. Indian Christians and the Apostle Thomas. He has spent time in research in museums and libraries and monuments of upwards of 25 countries during lecture tours lasting many weeks and months at a time.
Menachery has published many books, scores of learned papers and hundreds of articles in various historical journals and periodicals in addition to scripting, researching, or directing television documentaries/serials and delivering many radio talks. His major works are the following:
- 1973: The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India; vol. I (editor)
- 1982: The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India; vol. II (editor)
- 1984: Pallikkalakalum Mattum (Malayalam)
- 1986: Pope John Paul II Indian Visit Souvenir, Trichur
- 1987: Trichur Archdiocesan Centenary Volume (member of the editorial board)
- 1996: The St. Antony Octingenary Volume, (chief ed.) Ollur
- 1998: The Indian Church History Classics; Vol. I: The Nazranies
- 2000: Thomapedia
- 2005: Glimpses of Nazraney Heritage
- 2004: Christian Contribution to Nation Building: a Third Millennium Enquiry (ed. with Ponnumuthan and Aerath) Documentary Committee of CBCI-KCBC National Celebration of the Jubilee of St. Thomas and St. Francis Xavier, 2004
- 2006: The Indian Christian Directory ICD - Deepika Kottayam (ed. in charge) 
- 2009: The St. Thomas Christian Encyclopaedia of India; vol. III (editor)
- 2011: India's Christian Heritage (ed. with Snaitang) Church History Association of India (2011, 2012);
- 2013: Catholic Directory of India, CBCI, New Delhi (member of the editorial board)
- 2014: Aanayum Nazraaniyum [The Elephant and the Thomas Christian] (Malayalam) ISBN 81-87133-12-0
- 2015: Pallikalile Chitrabhaasangal [The Murals of Kerala Churches] (Malayalam) ISBN 81-87133-13-9 
- 2016: Dasaavatharika [Menachery's Introductions to ten books by reputed authors dealing with history, culture] (Malayalam) ISBN 81-87133-14-7 
- "Businesses held by diminishing races in a crisis to stay afloat". Economic Times. 30 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "Playwright, church historian get Catholic honour". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 8 March 2008. Retrieved 2011-10-30.[permanent dead link]
- "A scholarly tome on Christianity in India". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 3 March 2009. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
-  (ISBN 818713206X, Lib. Cong. Cat. Card. No. 73-905568 )
- (ISBN 81-87133-04-X, Lib. Cong. Cat. Card. No.98-908360 BX4714.120 )
- Prof. George Menachery