George Montagu, 6th Duke of Manchester
George Montagu, 6th Duke of Manchester, etc. (Kimbolton Castle, 9 July 1799 – Tunbridge Wells, 18 August 1855), known as Viscount Mandeville from 1799 to 1843, was a British peer and Tory Member of Parliament.
George Montagu was the son of William Montagu, 5th Duke of Manchester. As was customary, George held the title of Viscount Mandeville before he succeeded his father as duke. When William Montagu was Governor of Jamaica, he named the newly founded town of Mandeville, Jamaica named after George.
George Montagu first married Millicent Sparrow (25 January 1798 – Kimbolton Castle, 21 November 1848), daughter of Brig. Gen. Robert Bernard Sparrow of Brampton Park, Huntingdonshire (d. 1805), and his wife the Hon. Olivia Acheson (d. 12 February 1863), on 8 October 1822 at London.
George and Millicent had four children:
- William Montagu, 7th Duke of Manchester (1823–1892)
- Lord Robert Montagu (1825–1902), married Ellen Cromie and Elizabeth Wade and had issue.
- Lord Frederick Montagu (5 October 1828 – 29 October 1854), who died unmarried and without issue
- Lady Olivia Montagu (18 July 1830 – Greystones, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 15 February 1922 and interred at Chillingham on 20 February 1922), married at Kimbolton Castle, Huntingdonshire, 29 January 1850 Charles Bennet, 6th Earl of Tankerville, and had issue.
George Montagu married his second wife Harriet Sydney Dobbs (4 December 1834 – Ore, Sussex, 20 May/30 May 1907), daughter of Conway Richard Dobbs of Castle Dobbs, Antrim, Ireland, and wife, on 29 August 1850 at Kilroot, County Antrim.
George and Harriet had two children:
- Lady Sydney Charlotte Montagu (14 October 1851 – Keithhall, Inverurie, Aberdeen, 21 September 1932), married at St. George, Hanover Square, London, 14 August 1873 Algernon Hawkins Thomond Keith-Falconer, 9th Earl of Kintore
- Lord George Francis Montagu (18 January 1855 – 12 March 1882), a Lieutenant who died unmarried and without issue
Styles of address
- 1799–1826: Viscount Mandeville
- 1826–1837: Viscount Mandeville MP
- 1837–1843: Viscount Mandeville
- 1843–1855: His Grace The Duke of Manchester
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Manchester
- O'Byrne, William Richard (1849). " Montagu, George". A Naval Biographical Dictionary. John Murray. Wikisource.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
William Henry Fellowes
Lord John Russell
|Member of Parliament for Huntingdonshire
With: William Henry Fellowes 1826–1830
Lord Strathavon 1830–1831
John Bonfoy Rooper 1831–1837
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Duke of Manchester
William Drogo Montagu
|This biography of a duke or duchess in the peerage of Great Britain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1790s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|