George P. L. Walker
George Patrick Leonard Walker
2 March 1926
|Died||17 January 2005(aged 78)|
|Alma mater||Queen's University, Belfast|
University of Leeds
|Known for||Dispersal index,|
|Institutions||Imperial College London|
University of Hawai'i
|Doctoral students||Robert Stephen John Sparks|
Ian S. E. Carmichael
|Influenced||Bruce F. Houghton|
Career and research
He worked on the volcanic rocks of Iceland and on Mount Etna. He taught at Imperial College. In 1978, he was Captain James Cook Research Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand at the University of Auckland, In 1981, he was Macdonald Chair in Volcanology at the University of Hawaii.
Awards and honours
- Honorary D.Sc. from the University of New Zealand in 1988.
- Dr. scient. hon. c. from the University of Iceland in 1988.
- Icelandic Order of the Falcon, conferred by the president of Iceland in 1977.
- Lyell Medal of the Geological Society of London in 1982.
- UH Board of Regents Award for Excellence in Research in 1985.
- Thorarinsson Medal (IAVCEI) in 1989.
- Wollaston Medal (Geological Society of London) in 1995.
- Walker, George P. L. (Sep 1960). "Zeolite Zones and Dike Distribution in Relation to the Structure of the Basalts of Eastern Iceland". The Journal of Geology. 68 (5): 515–528. Bibcode:1960JG.....68..515W. doi:10.1086/626685. JSTOR 30059352.
- Walker, George P. L. (July 1973). "Explosive volcanic eruptions — a new classification scheme". Geologische Rundschau. 62 (2): 431–446. Bibcode:1973GeoRu..62..431W. doi:10.1007/BF01840108.
- Walker, George P.L. (September 1983). "Ignimbrite types and ignimbrite problems". Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 17 (1–4): 65–88. Bibcode:1983JVGR...17...65W. doi:10.1016/0377-0273(83)90062-8.
- Wilson, Lionel; R. Stephen J. Sparks; George P. L. Walker (1987). "Explosive volcanic eruptions — IV. The control of magma properties and conduit geometry on eruption column behaviour". Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society. 63 (1): 117–148. Bibcode:1980GeoJ...63..117W. doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.1980.tb02613.x. Archived from the original on 5 January 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
Walker was married[when?] to a woman named Hazel and had a daughter, Alison, and a son, Leonard.
- Carmichael, Ian Stuart Edward (1962). Volcanic geology of Thingmuli, Eastern Iceland. imperial.ac.uk (PhD thesis). Imperial College London. hdl:10044/1/13654. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.602161.
- Self, S.; Sparks, R. S. J. (2006). "George Patrick Leonard Walker. 2 March 1926 -- 17 January 2005: Elected FRS 1975". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 52: 423. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2006.0029.
- Wilson, C. J. N.; Walker, G. P. L. (1985). "The Taupo Eruption, New Zealand I. General Aspects". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 314 (1529): 199. Bibcode:1985RSPTA.314..199W. doi:10.1098/rsta.1985.0019.
- T. Thordarson; G. Larsen; S. K. Rowland; S. Self; A. Hoskuldsson, eds. (2009). Studies in Volcanology: The Legacy of George Walker. IAVCEI.[ISBN missing]
- Guardian obituary
- IAVCEI - A George P.L. Walker symposium on Advances in Volcanology - Reykholt, Borgarfjordur, W-Iceland, 12–17 June 2006
- "Professor George Walker". The Times. February 18, 2005.
- "Wollaston Medal". Award Winners since 1831. Geological Society of London. Archived from the original on 2009-03-21. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
|This biographical article about a British geologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|