George Patterson (missionary)
|George N. Patterson|
19 August 1920|
|Died||28 December 2012 (aged 92)
George Neilson Patterson (born 19 August 1920 in Falkirk, Scotland died at Auchlochan, Lesmahagow, Scotland, 28 December 2012)  also known as Patterson of Tibet, was a former Scottish engineer and missionary who served as medical officer and diplomatic representative of the Tibetan resistance movement during the Chinese invasion of Tibet.
Letter of Remembrance
The International Campaign for Tibet awarded him their Light of Truth Award on 25 March 2011. In a letter presented with the award, a simple butter-lamp symbolizing the light the recipient has shed on the cause of Tibet, the Dalai Lama’s Special Envoy Lodi Gyaltsen Gyari said: "It is my honour to convey to you in writing the decision of the Board of the International Campaign for Tibet to award you the Light of Truth, the highest recognition in the Tibet world of service to Tibet. The Board of Directors, chaired by Mr. Richard Gere, took the unanimous decision with great enthusiasm and, on their behalf, I offer you heartfelt congratulations. It gives my added pleasure as a Khampa to be the person to officially bring this news to you, Khampa Gyau [‘bearded Khampa’], the name by which His Holiness the Dalai Lama fondly and humorously called you."
- Patterson, George Neilson (1952). Tibetan Journey. UK: Faber & Faber.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1954). God's Fool. United States: Doubleday.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1956). Up and Down Asia.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1958). Tragic Destiny.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1960). Tibet in Revolt.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1963-4). Peking Versus Delhi. United States: Praeger. Check date values in:
- Patterson, George Neilson (1964-5). The Unquiet Frontier. United States: Dragonfly Paperbacks. Check date values in:
- Patterson, George Neilson (1968). Christianity in Communist China. United States: Word.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1983). Christianity and Marxism. UK: Paternoster Press.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1990). Requiem For Tibet. London, UK: Aurum Press.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1990). The China Paradox - Christ Versus Marx. UK: Word Books.
- Patterson, George Neilson. Patterson of Tibet. United States: Promotion Publishing.
with Meg Patterson
- Patterson, George Neilson (1975). Addictions Can Be Cured. UK: Lion.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1983). Getting Off The Hook: Addictions can be cured by NET (neuroelectric therapy). Wheaton, Illinois: Harold Shaw. ISBN 978-0-87788-305-0.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1987). The Power Factor. UK: Word.
- Patterson, George Neilson (1994). The Paradise Factor. UK: Word.
- editor Klatt, Werner (1965). The Chinese Problem. OUP & HKUP.
- editor Wint, Guy (1966-9). Asia Handbook. Blond; Penguin. Check date values in:
Advisor and scriptwriter
- 13 Jan 2013. "George Patterson". Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
- Brown, Craig (20 March 2011). "Dalai Lama honours Scots hero of Tibetan struggle". Scotland on Sunday. Edinburgh. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- International Campaign for Tibet (25 March 2011). "Light of Truth award presented to legendary ‘bearded Khampa’ George Patterson". Archived from the original on 2 June 2011. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- Official website
- Article, including photograph of George Patterson on his Tibetan horse, at ExplorersWeb.com