|Born||1950 (age 71–72)|
|Church||Church of England|
|Thesis||Kierkegaard's Theory and Critique of Art (1983)|
George Pattison (born 1950) is a retired English theologian and Anglican priest. His last post prior to retirement was as Professor of Divinity at the University of Glasgow. He was previously Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity at the University of Oxford. From 2017-2019 he was a Senior Co-Fund Fellow at the Max Weber Center at the University of Erfurt. He has also been an Affiliate Professor in Systematic Theology at the University of Copenhagen (2011 -) and an Honorary Professor in the Faculty of Theology at the University of St Andrew's (2021-)
Early life and education
Pattison became 1640 Chair of Divinity at the University of Glasgow in 2013, succeeding Werner Jeanrond who then became Master of St Benet's Hall at the University of Oxford in 2012. In 2017, Pattison gave the Bampton Lectures at the University of Oxford; the series was titled "A Phenomenology of the Devout Life". These have now been published as first of a three part 'Philosophy of Christian Life' under the same title.  Parts 2 and 3 are entitled "A Rhetorics of the Word"  and "A Metaphysics of Love".
Pattison's works range from historical, theological and philosophical engagement with the critical reception of German Idealism in such figures as Søren Kierkegaard, Martin Heidegger and Fyodor Dostoyevsky to theological studies of the aesthetics of film and the visual arts. His latest work has used existential phenomenology to explore themes of ontology, language, love and the meaning of God.
- Art, Modernity and Faith (1991)
- Kierkegaard: the Aesthetic and the Religious (1992)
- Agnosis: Theology in the Void (1996)
- Kierkegaard and the Crisis of Faith (1997)
- The End of Theology and the Task of Thinking about God (1998)
- Anxious Angels (1999)
- The Later Heidegger (2000)
- A Short Course in the Philosophy of Religion (2001)
- Dostoevsky and the Christian Tradition (ed. with D.Thompson, 1991)
- A Short Course in Christian Doctrine (2005)
- The Philosophy of Kierkegaard (2005)
- Thinking about God in an Age of Technology (2006)
- Crucifixions and Resurrections of the Image: Reflections on Art and Modernity (SCM, 2009)
- God and Being (OUP, 2011)
- A Phenomenology of the Devout Life (OUP, 2018)
- A Rhetorics of the Word' (OUP, 2019)
- A Metaphysics of Love' (OUP, 2021)
- Pattison, George (1983). Kierkegaard's Theory and Critique of Art: Its Theological Significance (PhD thesis). Durham, England: Durham University. OCLC 15248798.
-  Archived 24 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "Towards a Phenomenology of the Devout Life". University of Oxford. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "A Phenomenology of the Devout Life - George Pattison - Oxford University Press". Global.oup.com. 7 November 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "A Rhetorics of the Word - George Pattison - Oxford University Press". Global.oup.com. 19 December 2019. Retrieved 11 December 2021.
- "A Metaphysics of Love - George Pattison -Oxford University Press". Global.oup.com. 27 May 2021. Retrieved 11 December 2021.