|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Pettit performs live c.2010
|Birth name||George Pettit|
October 2, 1982 |
in Grimsby, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation(s)||Singer, musician, songwriter, DJ|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, organ|
|Labels||Distort Entertainment, Dine Alone Records|
|Associated acts||Alexisonfire, Black Lungs, Fucked Up, Bergenfield Four, Dead Tired|
George Pettit (born October 2, 1982 in Grimsby, Ontario), is a Canadian musician best known as the lead vocalist of the post-hardcore band Alexisonfire. He is also currently active as the vocalist of Dead Tired.
George grew up in the 'Gateway to Niagara' town of Grimsby. He attended Lakeview Public School for his elementary years, and Grimsby Secondary School where he began to realise his dream of becoming a rock artist through various small gigs throughout the area.
At the age of 17 George, joined by friends Dallas Green, Wade MacNeil, Chris Steele, and Jesse Ingelevics formed Alexisonfire. According to Pettit, he had a choice of going to art school or being in the band before the first tour. Pettit ultimately chose Alexisonfire who would later gain worldwide recognition.
Pettit is an avid record collector as well as a DJ, taking tips from the great DJ King Tubby. He is also known for his diverse music taste ranging from Rick James and Nancy Sinatra to the Screamers. Pettit was a juror on the first two episodes of Video On Trial, a television show on MuchMusic, under the alias George Logan. He also hosts Strange Notes, a television program which airs on BiteTV and aux.tv. The show features in-depth interviews conducted by George of artists that he finds interesting.
Since the dissolution of Alexisonfire in 2011, Pettit has retrained to become a firefighter in Oshawa.
Previously, a band called the Bergenfield Four (including Pettit alongside members of Attack in Black and Fucked Up) did their first show in Toronto, Ontario at the El Mocombo, in the fall of 2006. They released a four-song 7" demo in April 2007.
George Pettit appears in the Cancer Bats videos for "100 Grand Canyon" and "Pneumonia Hawk" as well as contributing vocals to Pneumonia Hawk. He also appeared with Dallas Green on Jude the Obscure's album, on the song "Wake Up My Love", and as a guest vocalist on "Vivian Girls" by Fucked Up. He later contributed further guest vocals to Fucked Up's album Glass Boys.
- "Distort Entertainment Official Website for Alexisonfire". Retrieved 31 May 2016.
-  Archived February 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Kerang Magazine Issue June 2009
- Chart Attack Article Archived November 8, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "George Pettit | PETTIT, George and Megan (nee MacDonald)". LifeNews.ca. 2009-12-21. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 27, 2009. Retrieved March 20, 2010.
- Netglimse Biography Archived December 17, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "All Videos". Bite.ca. Retrieved 2012-02-08.[dead link]
-  Archived January 7, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- List of Video on Trial episodes
- "Alexisonfire's George Pettit Becoming a Firefighter". Retrieved 2013-04-05.