|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1979–1982||St. Maries HS (girls')|
|1984–1985||Rocky Mountain (asst.)|
|1985–1987||Rocky Mountain (asst.) (women's)|
|1987–1989||Lewis-Clark State (asst.)|
|2008–2011||Montana State - Billings|
|2011–2012||Montana State (asst.)|
|Head coaching record|
After serving as head coach for sixteen seasons at LCSC, his alma mater, Pfeifer left the NAIA college to become an assistant in the WAC at Idaho under Leonard Perry for the 2005-06 season. Perry was fired in March 2006 and Pfeifer became the head coach, and compiled a two-season record of 12-48 (.200). He was fired in 2008 with one year remaining on his three-year contract, succeeded by Don Verlin, an assistant at Utah State University and a previous finalist for the job in 2006.
A few months later, Pfeifer was hired as the head coach at Montana State - Billings in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. After three seasons at the Division II school, his contract was not renewed in 2011 and he became an assistant coach in the Big Sky Conference under Brad Huse at Montana State in Bozeman.
In 2013 Pfiefer started working at Gonzaga University in the men's basketball program under the helm of Mark Few in Basketball Operations.
In 2014 Pfeifer took a job as the Head Coach for the Lewis and Clark Tigers, a high school team in Spokane Washington. In his first season, he compiled a record of 17-7. For the 2015-16 season LC compiled a record of 20-8 and placed 6th in the 4A state tournament. His two year record while coaching at LC was 37-15.
In the late summer of 2016 Priefer resigned as the Head Coach at LC High School to pursue a full-time teaching job in Spokane.
Pfeifer received his bachelor's degree in social science from Lewis-Clark State in 1979 and later earned a master's degree in educational administration from the University of Idaho. His first job in 1979 was as a teacher and girls' basketball coach at St. Maries High School, his alma mater.
College head coaching record
|Lewis-Clark State (Frontier) (1989–2005)|
|Lewis-Clark State:||295-206 |
|Idaho (WAC) (2006–2008)|
|Montana State - Billings (GNAC) (2008–2011)|
National champion Postseason invitational champion
- "Pfeifer new head coach at Billings". Lewiston Tribune. 19 June 2008. Retrieved 30 October 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Associated Press (18 March 2008). "Pfeifer fired after two seasons, 12-48 record". ESPN. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- Associated Press (21 March 2008). "Idaho hires Utah State assistant Don Verlin as head basketball coach". ESPN. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
- Lewiston Morning Tribune - Suddenly, Pfiefer's the choice - 2006-03-25 - p.1B
- USA Today - Contract not renewed for MSUB's basketball coach - 2011-03-16
- Lewiston Morning Tribune - Chalk one up for the everyman - 2005-04-15 - p.1
- Lewiston Morning Tribune - Pfeifer ascends to Vandals' helm - 2006-03-26 - p.B1
- lcsc.edu - athletics - men's basketball - year-by-year