George Post (painter)
George Booth Root III
September 29, 1906
|Died||March 26, 1997 (aged 90)|
|Known for||Watercolor painting|
|Movement||California style watercolor|
George Booth Post (September 29, 1906 – March 26, 1997) was an American watercolorist and art educator. He was an important contributor of the California style watercolor movement (also known as the California School of watercolor) of the mid 1920s until the mid 1950s.
Post was born as George Booth Root III at his grandfather's home in San Francisco, California. He spent several years in Gold Hill, Nevada with his mother and stepfather Walter Post, then returned to California to live in Oakland. In 1921, he received a scholarship to study at the California School of Fine Arts (CSFA) now called the San Francisco Art Institute. His teachers were Gottardo Piazzoni, Otis Oldfield, Ray Boynton, Spencer Macky and Constance Macky. Post was a long time faculty member at California College of Arts and Crafts. He died of pneumonia in San Francisco, California at age 91.
San Francisco is a beautiful city and George Post is one of the people who has helped us to realize— Alfred Frankenstien (art critic), 1960
In the old gold rush country. I had sent two or three watercolors down to the Palace of the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco for a California show and Mr. Thomas Howe had just become director of the museum or he was assistant director.— George Post, 
- "George Post Obituary". SFGate. April 2, 1997. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- "California Watercolors". CalArt California and American Art. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- McClelland, Gordon T. (1992). George Post. Hillcrest Press. ISBN 0-914589-08-3.
- http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/interviews/oral-history-interview-george-booth-post-12857 ORAL HISTORY INTERVIEW WITH GEORGE POST. APRIL 9, 1964 INTERVIEWER BY LEWIS FERBRACHE
- Collection Summary: An interview of George Booth Post conducted 1964 Apr. 9, by Lewis Ferbraché, for the Archives of American Art.
- George Post biography provided courtesy of “California Watercolors 1850-1970”
- California Watercolorist; George Post
- George Post, Auction records
|This article about a painter from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|