George Read (Alberta politician)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Green Party organizing
Read led the provincial and federal Green Parties in Alberta during a period of growth in support for the parties. Prior to his involvement, the Green Party remained well below 1% of the vote in Alberta.
Green Party of Canada
In that election, the Green Party of Canada received a higher percentage of votes in Alberta than in other provinces: the party won 6.3% of the popular vote in the province, and approximately 10% in the ridings of Calgary Centre-North (third highest Green vote percentage in Canada) and Calgary South Centre (fourth highest in Canada). Some commentators ascribed this to the relatively weak position of the Liberal Party of Canada and New Democratic Party in Alberta.
Read was the National campaign manager of the Green Party of Canada for the 2006 Federal election.
Read participated in a committee to decide staff changes in the GPC as of November 2006. One of the positions it would decide would be the National Campaign Manager.
In June 2004, he ran for election as the Green Party of Canada candidate in the federal riding of Calgary Southeast, finishing just behind the NDP candidate.
Read was the leader of the Alberta Greens in the Mar 3rd 2008 provincial election. He ran in the riding of Calgary Northwest and received 4.95% of the vote. The Alberta Greens moved from 2.8% of the vote in 2004 to 4.6% of the vote in 2008 under Reads Leadership.
The Alberta Greens ran 79 candidates in 2008 up from 49 candidates in 2004.
Partial electoral history
|Calgary-ElbowAlberta provincial by-election, June 12, 2007:|
|Progressive Conservative||Brian Heninger||4,039||38.33||−13.15|
|Alberta Alliance||Jane Morgan||439||4.17||+0.56|
|New Democratic||Al Brown||348||3.30||+0.75|
|Social Credit||Trevor Grover||175||1.66||+1.15|
|Total valid votes||10,538||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||41|
|Liberal gain from Progressive Conservative||Swing||+11.20|
- Alberta Greens Newsletter 2003 http://www.davidcrowe.ca/Green/Newsletter/GreeNews2003-3.pdf
- Green Party of Canada resignation press release https://greenparty.ca/releases/02.22.2007
- Report on the 2007 Alberta By-elections http://www.elections.ab.ca/Public%20Website/files/Documents/2007_By-Election_Report.pdf
- Information from www.elections.ab.ca under election results. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-05-03. Retrieved 2009-07-31.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2009-07-31.
- Calgary Herald July 31, 2009 http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/features/albertavotes/news/story.html?id=6e1c5590-6081-4012-8af2-acbef0aeeedf
- Sierra Club Chinook Group "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-01-07. Retrieved 2009-07-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George Read (Canadian politician).|
|Party political offices|
| Leader of the Alberta Greens
2003 - 2008