George Gerald Reisman
|Ludwig von Mises|
|Contributions||Primacy of profits, net consumption theory of profit, integration of Austrian and Classical Economics.|
George Gerald Reisman (//; born January 13, 1937) is an American economist. He is Professor Emeritus of Economics at Pepperdine University and the author of The Government Against the Economy (1979), which was praised by both F. A. Hayek and Henry Hazlitt, and Capitalism: A Treatise on Economics (1996). He is known as an advocate of free market or laissez-faire capitalism.
Reisman was born in New York City and graduated from Columbia College in 1957. He earned his PhD from New York University under the direction of Ludwig von Mises, whose methodological work The Epistemological Problems of Economics Reisman translated from the German original to English.
In the 1980s, with his wife, psychologist Edith Packer, he organized the Jefferson School of Philosophy, Economics, and Psychology, which held several conferences and seminars, the first being held at University of California, San Diego. Its lecturers included Leonard Peikoff, Edward Teller, Petr Beckmann, Hans Sennholz, Bernard Siegan, Anne Wortham, Robert Hessen, Allan Gotthelf, David Kelley, John Ridpath, Harry Binswanger, Edwin Locke, Walter E. Williams, Mary Ann Sures, Andrew Bernstein and Peter Schwartz. Attendees of these conferences include later Objectivist writers Tara Smith and Lindsay Perigo.
Reisman was a student of Ayn Rand, whose influence on his thought and work is at least as great as that of his mentor, Mises. He identifies himself as an Objectivist, but he is no longer affiliated with the Ayn Rand Institute because of a falling out with some of its senior members.
- "George Gerald Reisman" (2002), Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, Retrieved on January 18, 2007.
- Reisman, George (1979). The Government Against the Economy: The Story of the U.S. Government's On-going Destruction of the American Economic System Through Price Controls. Ottawa, Ill.: Caroline House Publishers. ISBN 0-89803-004-8. OCLC 5908227.
- Reisman, George. (1996). Capitalism: A Treatise on Economics. Ottawa, Ill.: Jameson Books. ISBN 0-915463-73-3. OCLC 36200484.
- "George Reisman on Ludwig von Mises, Ayn Rand, and Capitalism". The Objective Standard. 2021-02-05. Retrieved 2021-02-22.
- The Thomas Jefferson School of Philosophy, Economics and Psychology
- Quotations related to George Reisman at Wikiquote
- Reisman's website
- Reisman's Blog on Economics, Politics, Society, and Culture
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Reisman's Curriculum Vitae at the Wayback Machine (archived May 31, 2006)
- Why Nazism Was Socialism and Why Socialism Is Totalitarian
- Warum Nationalsozialismus Sozialismus war und warum Sozialismus totalitär ist