Salis-Schwabe was the son of Salis Schwabe of Rhodes, Middleton, and Glyn Garth, Anglesey and Julia Schwabe. Julia was a noted educationalist. His parents had a wide circle of notable friends He was educated at University College School, London and London University . He joined the army and became Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the 16th Lancers. He was Brigade Major of Cavalry at the Curragh and at Aldershot from 1873 to 1877. He served in the Anglo-Zulu War in 1879 when he was mentioned in despatches and awarded Medal with Clasp. He was a partner in firm of Salis Schwabe & Co, Calico Printers, of Rhodes and Manchester.
At the 1885 general election Salis-Schwabe was elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) for the new Middleton division of Lancashire. When the Liberals split over Home Rule for Ireland, he joined the breakaway Liberal Unionist Party, and did not stand again at the 1886 election.
George Salis Schwabe was Lieutenant Governor of the Chelsea Royal Hospital from 1898 to 1903, He died at the age of 63.
He married Mary Jaqueline James, daughter of Sir William Milbourne James, Lord Justice of Appeal in 1870. They had four children: Maurice Salis Schwabe (born 1871 in Easthampstead, Berkshire), Edgar William Salis Schwabe (born 1875 in Ireland), Gladys Mary Salis Schwabe (Born in Prestwich 11 March 1878) and Rhoda Jaqueline Salis Schwabe (born in Ireland 1885). Gladys married British businessman Paul Crompton and died with him and their six children in the 7 May 1915 sinking of the RMS Lusitania.
He was appointed CB in the 1902 Coronation Honours.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "M" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Mair, Robert Henry (1886). Debrett's Illustrated House of Commons and the Judicial Bench 1886. London: Dean & Son. p. 135.
- Patrick Waddington, ‘Schwabe, Julie (1818–1896)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, Oct 2006 accessed 4 Sept 2015
- Salis and Julie Schwabe
- "No. 25541". The London Gazette. 18 December 1885. p. 6135.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 322. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by George Salis-Schwabe
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
||Member of Parliament for Middleton
Andrew Smythe Montague Browne
|Colonel of the 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards
Sir Reginald Talbot