||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
George Sellios is the owner of Fine Scale Miniatures, a business dedicated to producing detailed model kits of structures for model railroad enthusiasts. He is also an accomplished modeller and is well known in the hobby for his creation, the Franklin & South Manchester Railroad which attracts visitors from around the world.
Fine Scale Miniatures
Franklin & South Manchester
The F&SM uses the same initials as Sellios' company and is co-located in the FSM company office. It is a stylized model railroad set in 1935 in a fictional area of New England during the Great Depression. It is characterized by cluttered scenery, colorful billboards and signs, simulated dilapidation, weedy sidewalks, heavy weathering and artistic license.
Active in the hobby since he was 13, Selios' first influence in the hobby was John Allen who took a novel, whimsical approach to model trains. Allen's influence can be seen in Selios' work which favors fantasy over the prototypical. In at least two cases, early Selios kits are copies of John Allen designs.
Sellios began construction of the F&SM in April 1985. He dedicates approximately three months per year to the endeavor, with the remaining nine dedicated to design and production for his business selling model structure kits. Sellios' F&SM is a large diorama occupying a space measuring approximately 1,600 square feet (150 m2). Sellios' model railroad has become one of the most recognized over the years, with several features in Model Railroader and an episode of Tracks Ahead. Selios has a large following of model train enthusiasts in the United States, where his exaggerated, caricature style is emulated by hobbyists and cottage industry "craftsman kit" makers.
- See Sellios, George, "The Fabulous Franklin and South Manchester Railroad, Volume 1" (1991, Fine Scale Miniatures). The book is packed with color photos of the layout. It does not appear that Volume 2 has yet appeared.
- See e.g., Sellios, George "Scenery Ideas: How We Make Model Scenery on Our Kit Dioramas" (1960, FSM).
- "Great Model Railroads: Volume 2 - George Sellios' Franklin South Manchester - Part 1". Allen Keller Productions. Archived from the original on 2013-10-07.
- "Great Model Railroads: Volume 24 - George Sellios' Franklin & South Manchester - II". Allen Keller Productions. Archived from the original on 2012-02-16.
- "Great Model Railroads: Volume 39-HO - George Sellios’ "Franklin & South Manchester"". Allen Keller Productions. Archived from the original on 2011-07-03.