He was born in Hyderabad, India, the son of the Reverend R Sinker, and was educated at Rossall School and Brasenose College, Oxford. In 1924 he married Eva Margaret, daughter of Colonel C H Madden OBE MC.
He served as a missionary for the Church Missionary Society in Kandy and Ceylon starting in 1921. In 1924 he was ordained in Bannu, North West Frontier Province, India. He moved to Peshawar in 1932. He was appointed headmaster of the Bishop Cotton School, Simla, in 1935, then canon of the Cathedral Church of the Resurrection, Lahore, 1944, and general secretary of the Bible Society for India and Ceylon in 1947. He was consecrated bishop of Nagpur in 1949.
On his return to the United Kingdom, he was successively Vicar of Bakewell (and an assistant bishop in Derby) from 1954 to 1962 and Provost of Birmingham Cathedral (and an assistant bishop in Birmingham) from 1962 to 1972. He died in Macclesfield in 1986.
- Jesus loved Martha, Hodder and Stoughton, 1949.
- What was Jesus doing on the Cross?, India, 1952
- His Very Words, Hodder and Stoughton, 1953
- Birmingham Post and Mail Yearbook and Who's Who 1973-74, Birmingham Post and Mail Ltd, July 1973
- “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- Church news Assistant Bishop of Birmingham to retire (Official Appointments and Notices) The Times Monday, 3 Jul 1972; pg. 16; Issue 58520; col C
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Nagpur
Sadanand Appaji Pathak
|Provost of Birmingham Cathedral
J. S. M. Hooper
Bible Society of India, Nagpur
- Annual Report of the American Bible Society, Volume 149, American Bible Society, 1964, p.144.