|Died||20 September 2014 (aged 82)|
|Cause of death||Cardiovascular disease|
|Occupation||Film director · Film producer · Screenwriter · Film editor · Author|
|The Vanishing |
|Home town||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
He was best known for directing two versions of The Vanishing, a 1988 Dutch-language release, originally titled Spoorloos, and the 1993 American version. Other feature films directed by Sluizer included Utz (1992) for producer John Goldschmidt, Crimetime (1995), and Dark Blood, which was discontinued after the death of its lead actor River Phoenix, but later completed and premiered at the Netherlands Film Festival in 2012. The film was shown two more times publicly on 2 October 2012 at the same festival.
From 2012 till 2014 he was part of the film jury for ShortCutz Amsterdam. An annual film festival promoting short films in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Other jury members include Rutger Hauer, Roel Reine and Jan Harlan.
Accusations against Ariel Sharon
Sluizer was accused by Israeli officials of a 'modern blood libel' for his claims – which in 2010 finally achieved front page level publicity in Israel – that he had witnessed the then Defense Minister Ariel Sharon personally shooting two Palestinian children from close range near the Sabra-Shatilla refugee camp in 1982.
|1961||De Lage Landen|
|1971||Stamping Ground||Directed with Hansjürgen Pohland|
|1972||João en het mes||João and the knife||Entered into the 22nd Berlin International Film Festival|
|1979||Twee Vrouwen||Twice a Woman|
|1982||Tepito Si||Short film|
|1985||Red Desert Penitentiary||Red Desert Penitentiary|
|1992||Utz||Utz||Entered into the 42nd Berlin International Film Festival|
|1993||Dark Blood||Dark Blood||Completed in 2012. Entered into the 32nd Netherlands Film Festival|
|1993||The Vanishing||The Vanishing||Remake of Spoorloos|
|1996||Mortinho por Chegar a Casa||Dying to Go Home||Directed with Carlos da Silva|
|1998||The Commissioner||The Commissioner||Entered into the 48th Berlin International Film Festival|
|2002||La Balsa de piedra||The Stone Raft|
|2009||The Chosen One||The Chosen One|
|2012||Dark Blood||Dark Blood|
Awards & Nominations
- 1988 - Golden Calf Best Film, Nederlands Film Festival, for Spoorloos
- 1997 - Nomination Crystal Star, Brussels International Film Festival, for Mortinho por Chegar a Casa
- 1998 - Nomination Golden Bear, Berlinale, for The Commissioner
- 2002 - Nomination Golden Calf Best Film & Beste Director, Nederlands Film Festival, for La balsa de piedra
- 2002 - Juryprize, Nederlands Film Festival, for La balsa de piedra
- 2013 - ShortCutz Amsterdam Career Award
- Director George Sluizer: Best known for two versions of film ‘The Vanishing’
- Roxborough, Scott. "River Phoenix's Last Film 'Dark Blood' to Debut at Film Festival in September". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- ShortCutz Amsterdam Jury Team, Shortcutz Amsterdam. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- Dutch Short Films Are the Focus - Shortcutz Amsterdam Go Social Film Magazine. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- Cnaan Liphshiz, "I saw Ariel Sharon murder 2 Palestinian toddlers in Lebanon," Haaretz (November 19, 2010). Retrieved August 4, 2013
- "Berlinale: 1992 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Berlinale: 1998 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2012-01-15.