Soares-Prabhu completed his Senior Cambridge at Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) in 1944 and then B. Sc. (Chemistry-Botany) at St. Xavier’s College, Bombay in 1949. Afterwards he joined the Society of Jesus and was ordained a priest on 24 March 1961 at De Nobili College, Pune.
He joined the Faculty of Theology at Pontifical Athenaeum (now known as Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth), Pune. He went to the Pontifical Biblical Institute, Rome, to secure a licentiate in Scriptures and completed a PhD in biblical theology in Lyon, France. He wrote his thesis An Enquiry into the Tradition History of Matthew 1-2 under the guidance of Xavier Léon-Dufour.
Soares-Prabhu returned to Pune in June 1969 and began teaching in 1970. Among various courses he taught, 'The Historical Jesus', 'Resurrection of Jesus and Dharma of Jesus' were most appreciated. Along with his colleagues, Francis X D'sa, Rui de Menezes and Kurien Kunnumpuram, he tried to articulate an Indian Christian theology. He was an ardent advocate of a Liberation Theology adapted to the Indian ethos and socio-religious context.
He died in a road accident in Pune on 22 July 1995.
- The Formula Quotations in the Infancy Narrative of Matthew: An Enquiry into the Tradition History of Matthew 1-2 (Analecta Biblica, 63), Rome: Biblical Institute, 1976.
- Biblical Themes for a Contextual Theology Today (edited with an Introduction by Isaac Padinjarekuttu), Pune: Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, 1999.
- A Biblical Theology for India (edited with an Introduction by Scaria Kuthirakkattel, SVD), Pune: Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, 1999.
- Biblical Spirituality of Liberative Action (edited with an Introduction by Scaria Kuthirakkattel, SVD), Pune: Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, 2003.
- Theology of Liberation: An Indian Biblical Perspective (edited with an Introduction by Francis X. D’Sa, S. J.), Pune: Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth, 2001.
- The Dharma of Jesus: Interdisciplinary Essays in Memory of George Soares-Prabhu, S. J. (edited by Francis X. D’Sa, S. J.), Pune: Institute for the Study of Religion, 1997.
- JDV Handbook, 1994, JDV: Pune.