George Spencer-Churchill, Marquess of Blandford
|Marquess of Blandford|
George John Godolphin Spencer-Churchill
|Born||28 July 1992|
Camilla Thorp (m. 2018)
|Father||James Spencer-Churchill, 12th Duke of Marlborough|
|Mother||Rebecca Few Brown|
George John Godolphin Spencer-Churchill, Marquess of Blandford (born 28 July 1992), styled as the Earl of Sunderland until 2014, is a British aristocrat and polo player. He is a model and brand ambassador for La Martina, an Argentinean polo clothing and equipment company. He is the heir apparent to the Dukedom of Marlborough.
Early life and family
He is the son of Jamie Spencer-Churchill, 12th Duke of Marlborough and his first wife, Rebecca Mary Few Brown. Lord Blandford is a distant relative of the wartime prime minister Winston Churchill (first cousin of his great-great-grandfather) and of Diana, Princess of Wales (his 4th cousin once removed). He is also a descendant of Consuelo Vanderbilt.
He and his family are notable for being involved in a high-profile legal dispute around 1993, when his paternal grandfather (the 11th Duke of Marlborough) sought to disinherit Lord Blandford's father. Since his father has had a controversial past, including serving time in jail for forging prescriptions and road rage, Lord Blandford was announced as the financial beneficiary of his grandfather's estate. His inheritance was to include Blenheim Palace, a 187-room mansion set on 2,000 acres in Oxfordshire.
Education and subsequent activities
He was educated at Harrow School, where he was captain of the school's polo team. From 2011 to 2014, he attended University College London, where he studied urbanisation. In March 2015, he started working as an aviation broker at JLT Group in London.
Lord Blandford married Camilla Elizabeth Antonia Thorp (now titled Marchioness of Blandford), a descendant of the Tempest baronets of Tong, Yorkshire, on 8 September 2018 at St Mary Magdalene Church, Woodstock.
Lord Blandford is of direct male-lineage of Charles Spencer, 3rd Duke of Marlborough.
|Ancestors of George Spencer-Churchill, Marquess of Blandford|
- "Prince Harry second best to Churchill's nephew in polo battle of most eligible bachelors". Daily Express. 26 May 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "The 12th Duke of Marlborough". Tatler. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Duke's Suit Seeks To Divide A Son, Fortune". Chicago Tribune. 2 August 1993. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Blandford sent back to prison over road-rage attack on driver". The Independent. 10 September 2007. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Magnificent Obsession". Vanity Fair. June 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Roy, Amit (13 August 2007). "Empire strikes back at 'racist' aristocrat". The India Telegraph. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Interview with George Spencer Churchill". POLO+10. 21 January 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "The Aristocrats, Channel 4: 'You don't want to be the one who screws up'". The Telegraph. 22 November 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Ambassadors of Polo". La Martina. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage, 2003, vol. 1, p. 1152