|His Grace , The Most Reverend
|Archbishop of Cardiff|
Archbishop George Stack
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Archdiocese||Archdiocese of Cardiff|
|Province||Province of Cardiff|
|Appointed||19 April 2011|
|Installed||20 June 2011|
|Ordination||21 May 1972|
|Consecration||12 April 2001
by Cormac Murphy-O'Connor
9 May 1946 |
George Stack was born in Cork, Ireland on 9 May 1946. He attended school in Highgate, London, before entering seminary at St. Edmund's College, Ware in 1966. He was ordained deacon in 1971 and completed his seminary training 1972, being ordained priest on 21 May 1972 by Bishop Victor Guazzelli, an Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Westminster.
Following ordination, Father Stack was appointed curate St Joseph's, parish, Hanwell. Between 1974 and 1977, Father Stack pursued a Bachelor of Education degree at St Mary's University College, Twickenham. He then became curate at St Paul's, Wood Green, and in 1983 was appointed Parish Priest of Our Lady, Help of Christians in Kentish Town.
In 1990, he was appointed Vicar General for Clergy, a post based at Archbishop's House in Victoria, London. He became Administrator of Westminster Cathedral in 1993, and was granted the title Monsignor.
In 2001, Monsignor Stack was consecrated an Auxiliary Bishop for the Archdiocese of Westminster, by Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor. In 2006, he was identified as holding responsibility for the pastoral care of deaneries in Hertfordshire and for Westminster's Diocesan Department for Education and Formation.
On 19 April 2011, Bishop Stack was named as the 7th Archbishop of Cardiff. He was installed as Archbishop on 20 June 2011, and received the pallium in Rome from Pope Benedict XVI on 29 June 2011.
In 2006, Bishop Stack was identified as holding appointments as Chair of Governors at St Mary’s University College, Twickenham; a Governor at Heythrop College in the University of London; and a Member of the Board of the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, London.
In 2011 Bishop Stack was listed as a member of the Department for Education and Formation of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales, serving as the Chairman of the Committee for Ministerial Formation and Chairman of the National Office for Vocation. The 2012 Provincial Yearbook confirms the latter two roles and also identifies Archbishop Stack as a Knight Commander of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre, and an Ecclesiastical Knight Grand Cross of Grace of the Constantinian Order of St George. Archbishop Stack is the Sub-Prior of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of St George within the Delegation of Great Britain and Ireland.
- Archdiocese of Westminster. Profile of Bishop George Stack 24 February 2006
- Catholic Province of Wales, Cardiff & Herefordshire, 2012 Yearbook, page 27.
- Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. Profile of Bishop George Stack consulted 22 April 2011
- Catholic-Hierarchy.org Ordination History and Lineage 19 April 2011
- Catholic Communications Network. Pope Benedict Appoints Right Reverend George Stack as new Archbishop of Cardiff 19 April 2011
- Archdiocese of Westminster. Archbishop George Stack installed as Archbishop of Cardiff 20 June 2011
- Catholic Herald. Archbishop George Stack of Cardiff receives pallium 6 July 2011
- Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. Department of Catholic Education and Formation 22 April 2011
- Archdiocese of Cardiff
- Archdiocese of Westminster
- Catholic Church of England and Wales
|Catholic Church titles|
Peter David Smith
|Archbishop of Cardiff
2011 – Present