Taliaferro on a 1952 Bowman football card
January 8, 1927 |
|NFL draft||1949 / Round: 13 / Pick: 129
(By the Chicago Bears)
|1949||Los Angeles Dons (AAFC)|
|1950–1951||New York Yanks|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Pro Bowls||1951, 1952, 1953|
As the leading rusher and an All-American at Indiana University, he led the Hoosier football program to their only undefeated Big Ten Conference championship. The 1945 Indiana Hoosiers football team handed Fritz Crisler and the University of Michigan their only Big Ten loss, a 13-7 win for IU--in Ann Arbor. A three-time All-American, Taliaferro led the Hoosiers in rushing twice, punting in 1945 and passing in 1948. Taliaferro helped break the color barrier in sports, playing for the Hoosiers two years before Jackie Robinson suited up for the Brooklyn Dodgers. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1981. While at IU, Taliaferro became a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity.
Taliaferro, a halfback, quarterback, and punter, was picked by the Chicago Bears in the thirteenth round of the 1949 NFL Draft but chose to play instead with the Los Angeles Dons of the All-America Football Conference. He played with the Dons in 1949, then moved to the NFL, where he played with the New York Yanks 1950-51, Dallas Texans 1952, Baltimore Colts 1953-54, and Philadelphia Eagles 1955. He went to the Pro Bowl in 1951, 1952, and 1953.
A documentary about Taliaferro, titled Indiana Legends: George Taliaferro, was recently produced by WTIU public television in Bloomington, Indiana. As of 2015 he resides in Bloomington, Indiana where his wife is a retired juvenile court judge. His nephew is Baltimore Ravens halfback Lorenzo Taliaferro.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame website
- "George Taliaferro". Sports Illustrated.
- College Football Hall of Fame: George Taliaferro
- Knight, Dawn (2007). Taliaferro: Breaking barriers from the NFL draft to the ivory tower. Bloomington, IN USA: Indiana University Press. p. 31. ISBN 978-0-253-34931-6.
- Mayer, Larry (2012-02-14). "Smith thrilled to meet Bears' first African American player". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- Piascik, Andy (2009). Gridiron Gauntlet. Lanham, MD: Taylor Trade Publishing. ISBN 978-1-58979-443-6
- "Indiana Legends: George Taliaferro", Indiana University