George Thomas (politician)
|Dr. George Thomas|
|Died||17 September 1993|
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Dr. K. George Thomas was a journalist, academic, Indian National Congress politician and former Member of the Legislative Assembly of Kallooppara to Kerala Legislative Assembly in 1967. He was also a founding member of Kerala Congress.
He became publisher and managing editor of Kerala Dhwani, Kerala Bhushanam, and the Malayalam weekly Manorajyam. Manorajyam, started by EJ Kanam, was bought by Thomas. Rachel Thomas, his wife, was the editor for some time. After her death it was bought by Goodnight Mohan. Now the weekly have stopped publishing.
He was elected as a MLA to Third Kerala Legislative Assembly in 1967, defeating N.T.George of CPM. George Thomas received 17,267 votes while N.T.George received 13,668 votes of the total valid 44,242 votes of the total electorate of 58,804 people. He was also Deputy Leader, Congress Legislature Party in the Kerala Assembly.
Thomas and Rachel have one son and one daughter.
He died on 17 September 1993.
- "MEMBERS OF PREVIOUS ASSEMBLY — THIRD KLA (1967 - 1970)". Information System Section, Kerala Legislative Assembly, Thiruvananthapuram. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF GENERAL ELECTION, 1967 TO THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF KERALA" (PDF). ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA NEW DELHI. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Who's Who of Members From Ist to 11th Kerala Legislative Assembly" (PDF). Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- Ayrookuzhiyil Kudumbacharitram. Ayrookuzhiyil Kudumbam Charithra Committee. 2005. p. 230.
- "ELECTIONS TO THE KERALA ASSEMBLY - 1967" (PDF). Government of Kerala. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 October 2008. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
|This article about a Kerala politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|