George Thurland Prior
|George Thurland Prior
|Died||8 March 1936(aged 73)|
|Alma mater||Magdalen College, Oxford|
|Occupation||Mineralogist, Meteoriticist, Keeper of Mineralogy (1909 - 1927)|
|Employer||Natural History Museum, British Museum|
|Known for||Meteorite classification|
|Awards||Murchison Medal (1927)|
He was born in Oxford, England, and arrended Magdalen College there in 1881. He received a first class in the Honour School in Chemistry in 1885 and Physics in 1886. Later he went to study in Germany. He obtained his Doctor of Science degree from Oxford University in 1905.
- Prior, George Thurland (1912). "The meteoric stones of El Nakhla El Baharia (Egypt)". Mineralogical Magazine. 16: 274–281. doi:10.1180/minmag.1912.016.76.04.
- Prior, George Thurland (1916). "On the genetic relationship and classification of meteorites". Mineralogical Magazine. 18: 26–44. doi:10.1180/minmag.1916.018.83.04.
- Prior, George Thurland (1920). "The classification of meteorites". Mineralogical Magazine. 19: 51–63. doi:10.1180/minmag.1920.019.90.01.
- Prior, George Thurland (1922). The student's index to the collection of minerals. London: Trustees of the British Museum. p. 33.
- Prior, George Thurland (1923). Catalogue of meteorites : with special reference to those represented in the collection of the British Museum (Natural History). Trustees of the British Museum. p. 196.
- Prior, George Thurland (1926). A guide to the collection of meteorites. p. 43.