George Town, Bahamas
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern Time Zone)|
The Government Building is a popular tourist attraction inspired by the architecture of the Government House in Nassau. The deep water of Elizabeth Harbour is a popular spot for sea-faring travelers. Pirates used the harbor in the 17th century and plantation owners from Virginia settled the town in the 18th century. During World War II the US Navy used the port.
Services in George Town include shops, restaurants, liquor stores, a gas station, insurance companies, churches, schools, a police station, a hospital and various other small businesses, along with a BTC and Aliv telecommunications office and the "iconic" Peace & Plenty Hotel and a small library. In 2015 the town's historic straw market caught fire and burned down due to an electrical fault and no fire trucks were available to combat the blaze.
Lake Victoria lies in the center of George Town, on the edges of which are a boat rental company, boat ramp, and a dock adjacent to one of the grocery stores in town. Water access to Lake Victoria from Exuma Harbour is under a small bridge in the downtown area.
George Town relies heavily on tourism as a source of income for its businesses and residents, and hosts an annual "Winter Residents' Reception" to welcome seasonal residents and boaters.
George Town hosts the Bahamas' National Family Island Regatta each year, but for the first time in 67 years it was cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19 concerns. The annual Run for Pompey is also a major tourist attraction held annually in George Town but due to COVID-19 was held as a virtual race.
- World Gazetteer
- "thebahamasweekly.com - Exuma mini-hospital being constructed in George Town". www.thebahamasweekly.com. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- "How the famous swimming pigs of the Bahamas came to be". Salon. 2018-10-13. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- "'Iconic' Exuma resort's sale awaits Govt nod". www.tribune242.com. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- "Exuma resort buyer eyes $700k upgrades". www.tribune242.com. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- "Straw Market fire was started by short circuit". www.tribune242.com. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- "No fire truck as George Town Straw Market burns". www.tribune242.com. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- Georgetown, Bahamas
- "thebahamasweekly.com - Ministry of Tourism Hosts Annual People to People Exuma Winter Residents' Reception". www.thebahamasweekly.com. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- "Exuma regatta cancelled for first time in 67 years". www.tribune242.com. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- "Run for Pompey remains major tourist attraction". Eye Witness News. 2018-09-26. Retrieved 2021-01-24.
- "Exuma virtual race raises $12,000 for COVID relief, food, tablets". Eye Witness News. 2020-10-20. Retrieved 2021-01-24.