In 1837 he stood unsuccessfully in Caithness, but at the 1841 general election he was returned unopposed for that seat. He was re-elected at the six further general elections, and held the seat until he resigned from the House of Commons on 8 August 1869 by becoming Steward of the Manor of Northstead.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "O" [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 596. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Craig, op. cit., page 578
- Department of Information Services (9 June 2009). "Appointments to the Chiltern Hundreds and Manor of Northstead Stewardships since 1850". House of Commons Library. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by George Traill
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Orkney & Shetland
|Member of Parliament for Caithness
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain, or the Parliament of the United Kingdom, representing a Scottish constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Liberal Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|