George Turner (artist)
from the Keene studios
|Born||2 April 1841
|Died||29 March 1910|
Kate Stevens Smith
Life and work
Turner was born in Cromford, Derbyshire in England, but then moved to Derby with his family. He showed an early talent for music and art - encouraged by his father Thomas Turner, who although a tailor by profession was also an art enthusiast. Turner was largely self-taught and went on to become a professional painter and art teacher.
Turner lived in Derbyshire all his life. In 1865 he married Eliza Lakin (1837 - 1900), becoming a part-time farmer and raising four children at Walnut farm in Barrow upon Trent. He had a number of successful students including David Payne and Louis Bosworth Hurt.
After Eliza's death in 1900, he moved to Kirk Ireton and later married fellow artist Kate Stevens Smith (1871-1964) - they set up home in Idridgehay where he died in 1910. His son William Lakin Turner (1867-1936) also became a landscape oil painter of repute.
Turner worked in oils and painted bucolic scenes mainly of his native Derbyshire, leaving an important legacy of hundreds of pictures depicting the English countryside before the coming of mechanisation, the motor car and urban expansion. His work was exhibited in Nottingham and Birmingham. Turner served on the Art Committee of Derby Art Gallery and both his and his son's paintings are included in the city's collection. Turner has 22 paintings in National collections in the United Kingdom.
- George and Eliza Turner had four children: Mary Turner (later Chamberlain then Woore) (1868-1937), Florence Palmer Turner (1869-1955), William Lakin Turner (1867-1929) and Percy Reed Turner (1871 - 1936).
- "George Turner, British (1843-1910)". Langham Gallery. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- William Lakin Turner
- "George Turner". Burlington Art. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- 22 Painting(s) by or after George Turner at the Art UK site
- Long, Frederick J. George Turner the Derbyshire Artist, 1841-1910 (1995)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George Turner (artist).|