25 July 1932 |
|Institutions||International Academy of Classical Homeopathy|
|Notable awards||Right Livelihood Award (1996)|
He studied homeopathy in South Africa and received a diploma in homeopathy from the Indian Institute of Homeopathy in 1966. Upon receiving his diploma, he returned to Greece where he practiced and began teaching classical homeopathy to medical doctors at what eventually became the Center of Homeopathic Medicine in Athens. In 1972, Vithoulkas started a Greek homeopathic journal, Homeopathic Medicine. In 1976, he organized the first of an annual series of International Homeopathic Seminars. In 1995, he opened the International Academy for Classical Homeopathy (I.A.C.H.) on Alonissos, to provides post-graduate training for homeopaths. It is dedicated exclusively to the teaching of Homeopathic Medicine.
Vithoulkas has authored a number of books on homeopathy, two of which, Homeopathy: Medicine of the New Man and The Science of Homeopathy have been translated extensively, and is currently writing Materia Medica Viva, a homeopathic materia medica or reference work on homeopathic remedies, to reach 16 volumes when finished. In addition to his books, he has published numerous articles in homeopathic journals and has developed an expert system for homeopaths to use in choosing remedies for their patients.
Praise and criticism
According to Vithoulkas's citation from the Right Livelihood award, his books "have had a profound influence upon the acceptance and practice of homeopathy worldwide."
He has been described as "the maestro of classical homeopathy" by Robin Shohet; Lyle Morgan says he is "widely considered to be the greatest living homeopathic theorist"; and Scott Shannon calls him a "contemporary master of homeopathy." Paul Ekins credited Vithoulkas with the revival of the credibility of homeopathy. Vithoulkas has also made an expert system 'VES'(Vithoulkas Expert System) that has been incorporated into the RADAR software.
His biography has been published in the book Georgos Vithoulkas Der Meister-Homöopath Biographie und Fälle by the journalist Peter Clotten and the homeopath Susan Pfeifer who studied at his International Academy for Classical Homeopathy.
In 1978, Anthony Campbell, then a consultant physician at The Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, reviewed The Science of Homoeopathy. He criticised Vithoulkas for substituting assertion for hard evidence and constructing an almost meaningless argument on the basis of a dubious theory of disease. He described rhetoric put forward by Vithoulkas (in presenting the argument that "allopathic drugging" is harmful and must be avoided) as including a thoroughly irresponsible statement which could mislead an unfortunate layman into refusing orthodox treatment, mentioning Vithoulkas' claim, "in the course of an argument designed to show that 'allopathic drugging' is harmful and must be avoided", that syphilis, when treated with antibiotics, would have the early stages suppressed, but would go on to the secondary and tertiary stages. However, he felt the book also provided a good, if dogmatic, description of the principles and practice of "classical" homoeopathy. In response, Vithoulkas quoted various medical studies he claimed supported his assertion that penicillin "may suppress primary syphilis while failing to prevent the insidious development of a tertiary stage, especially as manifested in psychosis." Vithoulkas' claims conflict with scientific studies, which indicate that penicillin treatment produces a complete cure of syphilis in more than 90% of cases.
- Homeopathy: Medicine of the New Man (New York: Arco, 1979)
- The Science of Homeopathy (New York: Grove Press, 1980)
- A New Model for Health and Disease (North Atlantic Books, 1992)
- Homeopathy: Medicine for the New Millennium (IACH, 2000)
- Materia Medica Viva (IACH, 2000- ) 12 volumes completed to date, 16 planned
- The Essence of Materia Medica ISBN 8170211387
"Any homoeopath who knows medicine realizes that syphilis has bestowed upon humanity a terrible heredity that would take many decades, if not indeed aeons, before its far-reaching effects (upon successive generations) could be eliminated by careful homoeopathic prescribing." in British Homoeopathic Journal Volume 68, Number 4, October 1979
- "George Vithoulkas". Roll of Honour. Right Livelihood Award. 1996. Retrieved 2007-03-22.
- "Homeopathy". International Academy of Classical Homeopathy. Retrieved 2007-03-22.[self-published source?]
- "Profile of George Vithoulkas". WholeHealthNow. Retrieved 2008-03-24.
- Arco, New York, 1979
- Grove Press, New York, 1980
- Right Livelihood Award: Home
- Shohet, Robin (2005). Passionate Medicine: Making The Transition From Conventional Medicine To Homeopathy . Jessica Kingsley Publishers. p. 29. ISBN 1-84310-298-6.
- Morgan, Lyle (1992). Homeopathy and Your Child: A Parent's Guide to Homeopathic Treatment from Infancy Through Adolescence. Healing Arts Press. p. 4. ISBN 978-0-89281-330-8.
- Shannon, Dr. Scott (2002). Handbook of Complementary and Alternative Therapies in Mental Health. Academic Press. p. 410. ISBN 978-0-12-638281-5.
- Ekins, Paul (1992). A New World Order. Taylor & Francis. p. 167. ISBN 978-0-415-07115-4.
- Archibel  About VES
- Homoeoscan|Homoeopathy  Mental picture in remedy selection
- ISBN 3-442-21632-X (ISBN 13: 978-3-442-21632-1) published by Random House Bertelsmann, Amazon.de accessed 2007-03-24
- Homeopathy in Perspective, Anthony Campbell. Accessed 2007-03-24
- Personal file, Anthony Campbell. Accessed 2007-03-24
- Critical review of The Science of Homeopathy from the British Homoeopathic Journal Volume 67, Number 4, October 1978
- Vithoulkas, George. Answer to the review of my book The Science of Homeopathy
- Birnbaum NR, Goldschmidt RH, Buffett WO (1999). "Resolving the common clinical dilemmas of syphilis". American Family Physician 59 (8): 2233–40, 2245–6. PMID 10221308.
- Vithoulkas' web site
- Biography on Right Livelihood Award website
- An interview with George Vithoulkas
- Materia Medica Viva Review from the British Homoeopathic Journal (1993)
- Homeopathy -Medicine for the New Millennium Review from the British Homoeopathic Journal (2001)
- on YouTube
- "Interview: George Vithoulkas on Homoeopathy, by Rajesh Shah" published in Homoeopahty Times, 1994
- Essence of materia medica "some views by Alfons Guekens"