George Wang (actor)
Wang in Colt in the Hand of the Devil (1967)
November 12, 1918
March 27, 2015 (aged 96)|
George Wang (born Wang Yie, 12 November 1918 – 27 March 2015) was a Taiwanese actor and producer who appeared in a multitude of Italian films.
Born in Dandong, Liaoning, Wang enrolled the Shanghai drama school China Film Studio in 1938 and the following year he made his film debut in Defending Our Homeland (保家鄉). In 1949, Wang moved to Taiwan, becoming one of the most important stars in the early years of Taiwanese cinema.
At the end of the 1950s he moved to Italy, where he was a very active character actor in genre films, mainly spy films, adventure films and Spaghetti Westerns, being mostly cast in roles of villains. Thanks to his good knowledge of English, he was also active in a number of English language productions, notably appearing in Nicholas Ray's 55 Days at Peking.
In 1976 Wang moved to Hong Kong, where with his son Don he founded the film production company "Wang Film Company". In 1978 he returned to Taiwan and back to acting, winning in 1981 a Golden Horse Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in The Coldest Winter in Peking (皇天后土).
Wang died of heart attack at 96 years old. He received a posthumous presidential citation in recognition of his contributions to Taiwanese cinema.
- The Dam on the Yellow River as Wang (as Wang Jie) (1960)
- The Mongols as Subodai (1961)
- 55 Days at Peking as Boxer Chief (1963)
- The Pirates of Malaysia as Sho Pa (1964}
- 008: Operation Exterminate as Tanaka (1965)
- Spy in Your Eye as Ming (1965)
- The 10th Victim as Chinese hunter (1965)
- James Tont operazione U.N.O. as Kayo (1965)
- The Almost Perfect Crime as Chinese Driver (1966)
- Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs as Fong (1966)
- Taste for Killing as Ming (1966)
- Black Box Affair as Chinese agent (1966)
- Mi vedrai tornare as Prince Hiro Toyo (1966)
- El Cisco as Capobanda (1966)
- Scorpions and Miniskirts as Dr. Kung (1967)
- Your Turn to Die as Chang (1967)
- Colt in the Hand of the Devil as El Condor / Capataz (1967)
- Tepepa as Mr. Chu (1969)
- 36 Hours to Hell as Major Koshiro (1969)
- Have a Good Funeral, My Friend... Sartana Will Pay as Lee Tse Tung / Peng (1970)
- Kill Django... Kill First as Martinez (1971)
- Desert of Fire as El Marish (1971)
- Roma Bene as Che Fang (1971)
- Two Brothers in Trinity as Chinaman (1971)
- La tecnica e il rito (TV Movie) as Hun (1972)
- La lunga cavalcata della vendetta as Ling Fu (1972)
- Sotto a chi tocca! as Koyo the Balls Thrower (1972)
- Even Angels Eat Beans as Naka Kata (1973)
- The Big Game as Wong (1973)
- The Executioner of God as Ramon Orea (1973)
- Super Fly T.N.T. as Poker Player (1973)
- Studio legale per una rapina as Lino (1973)
- They Were Called Three Musketeers ... But They Were Four as Kungfu Master (1973)
- Mr. Hercules Against Karate as Ming (1973)
- Seven Hours of Violence as a Chinese Thug (1973)
- The Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe as Master Yang (1973)
- Man with the Golden Winchester as Pedro Garincha (1973)
- Six Bounty Hunters for a Massacre as Ming / Messinas (1973)
- Milarepa (1974)
- This Time I'll Make You Rich as Wang (1974)
- Il Sergente Rompiglioni diventa... caporale as Chang (1975)
- Nan quan bei tui zhan yan wang as Mayor Yuen (1977)
- The Battle for the Republic of China (1981)
- I Shall Return (1982)
- Kevin Ma (7 April 2015). "George Wang (1918–2015)". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Enrico Lancia, Fabio Melelli. Dizionario del cinema italiano. Attori stranieri del nostro cinema. Gremese 2006, p. 206. ISBN 978-88-8440-425-1.
- Tom Betts (4 April 2015). "RIP George Wang". Western Boot Hill. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Christie Chen (16 April 2015). "Presidential citation to honor late actor Wang Chueh". Focus Taiwan News Channel. Retrieved 1 May 2015.