George Warren (East India Company officer)
Portrait by Colesworthey Grant
22 June 1884, aged 83|
Southsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire
||Royal Munster Fusiliers (101st)|
|Awards||Order of the Dooranee Empire (3rd class)|
|Spouse(s)||Isabella Barry Fitzgerald (m. 1840–1884)|
George Warren (cir 1801-1884) was a British General who was a major figure in the Afghan and Indian wars of the early 19th century.
George Warren was born in Topsham, Devon about 1801. He joined the Honourable East India Company's 1st Bengal European Regiment (which, much later after several mergers, became the Royal Munster Fusiliers) and was stationed to India. On 4 March 1823, Lieutenant Warren arrived in Madras aboard the HMS Warren Hastings. On 18 January 1826, he took part in the Storming of the Jungeena Gate at Bhurtpore. On 16 March 1839, as a Brigadier, he described  the soldiers' appearance during the passage of the Bolan Pass as
an army retreating under every disaster; public stores and private property lying about scattered and abandoned in every direction
On 17 September of the same year, he was awarded the Order of the Dooranee Empire, 3rd class. He progressed quickly to the rank of General and remained in India until the early 1860s. He retired to the United Kingdom, firstly to Sudley Lodge, South Bersted, Sussex, and then to Portsea, Portsmouth and Southsea, where he died.
On 15 August 1840 at Calcutta Cathedral, India, Lt-Col George Warren married Isabella Barry Fitzgerald (1818 Dublin - 15 January 1900 'Granville', Pelham Road, Portsea, Hampshire), the daughter of William Fitzgerald of Dublin, and had issue:
- William Henry Oakes Warren (born 19 January 1843 Calcutta)
- Isabella Palmer Warren (28 June 1846 Calcutta - 1880 Portsea)
- Emily Grace Warren (29 July 1848 Calcutta - 1915 Slinfold, Sussex), who married Roger Granville Pulteney Eliot (a grandson of Francis Perceval Eliot) in 1871
- Frederick Penrose Warren (born 2 FEB 1850 • Fort William, Calcutta, Bengal, India) who married Maria Goodfellow 13 Oct 1888 • Bexhill, Sussex, England
- Edward Harrington Warren (born 16 August 1852 Barrackpore, India - 1893 Portsea), who married Eliza Salter Talbot in 1880 Portsea Island
- Walter Gilbert Warren (born 12 MAY 1851 • Fort William, Bengal, India
- Arthur Septimus Warren (born 20 JUN 1854 • Fort William, Calcutta, Bengal, India, DEATH 27 DEC 1943 • Surrey, England married Lily Edith Tindall 1891 Chorlton, Lancs)
- Florence Temple Warren (born 1860 Brompton, London) who married Arthur Nathaniel Davis in 1883
- Harriette Annie Sloper (Annie) Warren (born 1863 Belgium) who married Harry Bingham Thomas on 8 January 1885 at St John's Church, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
On 22 June 1884, at his home in 1 Brandon Terrace, Southsea, Hampshire, Warren died, aged 83.
- 1871 UK Census: General on retired list, aged 68 (70?), visiting Fusiliers Depot, Hartley Wintney - RG10/1232 f.89 p.2 - born Topsham, Devon
- "Royal Munsters Fusiliers - History". Archived from the original on 2 May 2011.
- "National Library of Scotland" (PDF). National Library of Scotland. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 February 2007.
- 1881 UK Census: Retired general, aged 74 (80?), of Cyprus Lawn, Hamilton Road, Portsea, Hampshire - RG11/1162 f.51 p.48 - born Devon
- "Badge of the Order of the Dooranie Empire, awarded to Brgdr George Warren 1839". Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Domestic occurrences". Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce. Mumbai, India. 5 September 1840. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
At the Cathedral on 15 August by the Venerable Archdeacon Dealtry Lieutenant Colonel George Warren 1st Bengal European Regiment, Officiating Town Major of Fort William and Member of the Dooranee Order to Isabella daughter of William FitzGerald Esq Dublin
- GRO Register of Deaths: JUN 1884 2b 319 PORTSEA George Warren, aged 83