George Washington Carver High School (Birmingham, Alabama)
|George Washington Carver High School|
|3900 24th St. North
|Motto||Excellence is the Standard|
|School district||Birmingham City Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Charles L. Willis, Jr.|
|Student to teacher ratio||18:1|
|Color(s)||Royal blue, red, and white|
|Athletics||AHSAA Class 5A|
|Feeder schools||Arrington Middle School
Bush Hills Academy
South Hampton K-8
Wilkerson Middle School
George Washington Carver High School for Health Professions, Engineering, & Technology (Carver) is a four-year public high school in Birmingham, Alabama. It is one of seven high schools in the Birmingham City School System and is named for the American botanist and inventor, George Washington Carver. School colors are royal blue, red, and white, and the mascot is the Ram. Carver competes in AHSAA Class 5A athletics.
Carver's current campus was completed in 2001 on a site that was formerly the North Birmingham Golf Course. It was Birmingham City Schools' first new high school in three decades and cost an estimated $44.5 million.
The five-story academic building encompasses 166,000 square feet, with the main entrance on the third floor. The 26,100 square feet cafeteria area is designed to serve 500 students. Also featured in the academic building are the following:
- Media center
- Science and computer labs
- Print production center
- Health professions laboratory
- Art suites
- Driver education suite
- Cosmetology laboratory
- CAD laboratory
- Distance learning center
Building Two includes Carver's Competition Center and the following:
- Band, orchestra, and choral suites
- Animation studio
- Television broadcasting
- Gym and weight room
In 2010 a new $4.2 million football stadium adjoining the school was dedicated. The Rams broke a 28-game losing streak to usher in a new era under head coach Billy Culver.
Enrollment in grades 9-12 for the 2013-14 school year is 902 students. Approximately 93% of students are African-American, 6% are Hispanic, and 1% are white. Roughly 87% of students qualify for free or reduced price lunch.
Carver has a graduation rate of 57%. Approximately 52% of its students meet or exceed proficiency standards in mathematics, and 60% meet or exceed standards in reading. The average ACT score for Carver students is 18.
- Outdoor track and field
Carver has won three state championships:
- Boys' basketball (1978)
- Boys' track and field (1969)
- Girls' track and field (1993)
- "AHSAA 2014-16 School Classification" (PDF).
- "Doster Puts $44.5M End to Birmingham's High School Construction Drought". www.constructionequipmentguide.com. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "(WBHM - Your NPR News Station)". www.wbhm.org. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "About Us / G. W. Carver at a Glance". www.bhamcityschools.org. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "Carver High School - Bhamwiki". www.bhamwiki.com. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "George Washington Carver High School". SchoolDigger. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "George Washington Carver High School in Birmingham, AL - Niche". K-12 School Rankings and Reviews at Niche.com. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "Home - This is the home of carverathletics.com". carverathletics.com. Retrieved 2015-10-01.