George Washington Community High School
|George Washington Community
|2215 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, Indiana, Marion County 46222
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Indianapolis Public Schools|
|Principal||Emily A. Butler|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.27|
|Athletics conference||Indianapolis Public School Conference|
The school originally opened in 1927 as a traditional high school in the Haughville neighborhood of Indianapolis. It ceased operations as a high school in 1995 due to waning enrollment within IPS, but was re-established in 2000 in its current form. The school is operated by the Indianapolis Public Schools system. Enrollment is approximately 575 students. It is referred to as Indianapolis Washington by the IHSAA.
George Washington Community High School's athletic teams are named the Continentals. The Continentals have won two Indiana High School Athletic Association State Championships in boys' basketball (1964–65 and 1968–69).
- Steve Downing – former member of the Boston Celtics
- Darrin Fitzgerald – former Butler basketball player
- Jeff James – former professional baseball player, letterman at Indiana State University
- Billy Keller – former professional basketball player; played for Purdue and the Indiana Pacers during their time in the American Basketball Association
- George McGinnis – former member of the Indiana Pacers and Indiana Hoosiers
- Marv Winkler – former member of the Indiana Pacers
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for George Washington Community HS". ed.gov. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "IHSAA Basketball State Champions". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
|This Indiana school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indianapolis, Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|