George Washington High School (Philadelphia)
|George Washington High School|
|10175 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19116
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||The School District of Philadelphia|
|NCES District ID||4218990|
|NCES School ID||421899006527|
|Principal||Ms. Susan Thompson|
|Enrollment||Approximately 1,875 (2012)|
|Education system||Secondary school|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Rival||Northeast High School|
George Washington High School is a public high school in Somerton, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, near Bustleton. The school serves Northeast Philadelphia, including Somerton, Bustleton, and Fox Chase. Named after the first president of the United States, George Washington, it is located on Bustleton Ave. Washington had an enrollment of 1,875 in 2012.
The school currently[when?] has four programs:
- Business and Finance:5
- Culinary arts (including baking, hospitality administration and management, and travel and tourism):6
- International Baccalaureate Program:4
- Creative and Performing Arts:7
The school also maintains three career and technology education (CTE) programs::43
- Business Technology
- Culinary Arts
- Sports Marketing and Management
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2015)|
Beginning on January 8, 2001 there were two fights involving racial issues. Six black students had received criminal charges for ethnic intimidation while the white students had received no charges. The Philadelphia area NAACP chapter's president, J. Whyatt Mondesire, had criticized the lack of charges for the white students.
For male students, this consists of a jet black or khaki (tan) collared shirt and jet black or khaki (tan) slacks. For female students it is jet black or khaki (tan) collared shirt or blouse and jet black or khaki (tan) slacks or skirt (knee length or longer). The students are also permitted to wear anything with the school's logo or school team/club related wears. This includes gym uniforms, team jackets, team shirts, club shirts, and anything along the line. During the winter, students are also permitted to wear sweater or hoodie of solid black color. Student are not permitted to have hoodies on at any time, nor are any students allowed to wear a hat.
Feeder middle schools include Baldi Middle School and General Harry LaBrum Middle School. Feeder K-8 schools include Stephen Decatur School, A. L. Fitzpatrick School, and Joseph Greenberg School. Feeder elementary schools include Anne Frank, Watson T. Comly, Fox Chase, and W. Loesche.
- Adam Mazer: (Writer) Emmy Winner for "You Don't Know Jack"
- Kevin Hart: actor and comedian
- Marc Zumoff: sportscaster
- Sharrif Floyd: defensive tackle for the Minnesota Vikings
- Jameel McClain: linebacker for the New York Giants
- Barton Gellman: Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
- Danny Garcia: Boxer
- Aaron Wilmer: Quarterback
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Philadelphia City Sd". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Washington George HS". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- Henry, David. "Students, parents share safety concerns at George Washington High School ." WPVI-TV. Friday, November 13, 2015. Retrieved on December 1, 2015.
- Cusick, Frederick. "School's Racial Tension Confronted At George Washington High, 200 Gathered To Talk About Two Fights. Black Students Were Charged. Whites Were Not." Philadelphia Inquirer. January 19, 2001. Retrieved on December 1, 2015.
- "George Washington High School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on December 11, 2016.
- "A Directory of High Schools for 2012 Admissions" (PDF). School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved 28 July 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Policies". George Washington High School. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Anne Frank Elementary School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on December 11, 2016.
- "Watson Comly Elementary School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on December 13, 2016.
- "Fox Chase Elementary School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on December 11, 2016.
- "William H. Loesche Elementary School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on December 13, 2016.
- Smith, Manuel McDonnell. "Philadelphia's Rising Star: Who's Laughing Now". Urban Suburban magazine. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Hunt, Donald (March 24, 1988). "Talk About Sports! Rosen And Zumoff Tell All About It". Philly.com. Retrieved September 17, 2013.