|Born||December 23, 1961|
George Wassouf (Arabic: جورج وسوف) (born December 23, 1961) is a Syrian singer. In a career spanning almost four decades, he has released more than 30 albums.With a significantly large audience of fans in Syria and abroad, he is one of the most important singers of the Arab world.
Early life and career
Born in Kafroun, Tartous, Syria into a Christian household. Wassouf, holding the Lebanese passport in addition to the Syrian passport and living and working in Lebanon, started singing at the age of 10 in his hometown Kafroun. He was discovered by his first manager and producer George Yazbeck at a wedding party that Wassouf was performing at, aged 12 years old. At the age of 16 he was called Sultan El-Tarab by the Lebanese journalist George Ibrahim El Khoury, a magazine director, Arabic for The Sultan of Music, with his classic song "el-Hawa Sultan". He became famous after appearing on the Lebanese show Studio El Fan 1980 when he was 19 years old as Sultan of Tarab.
Wassouf preferred not to shoot videos for his songs saying "I don't feel I can act ... I really can't... I only find myself when I'm on the stage ... singing, but the video clip forces me to act".
George Wassouf married his first Lebanese wife, Shalimar, at the age of 21. They have three children: Hatem Wassouf, George Jr. Wassouf, Wadie Wassouf. The couple separated after 28 years of marriage in 2009.
He is currently married to Qatar rally champion Nada Zeidan. Their only daughter, "Oyoon", was born in October 2015. Wassouf is a prominent supporter of President Bashar al-Assad's government through the Syrian Civil War.
- 1983: Ouwidni Salmtek Byied Allah
- 1984: El Hawa Sultan
- 1992: Rouh El Rouh
- 1993: She' Ghareeb
- 1994: Kalam El Nass
- 1996: Leil El Ashiqeen
- 1998: Lissa El Dounya Bi Khair
- 1999: Tabeeb Garrah
- 2000: Dol Mush Habayib
- 2001: Zaman El Ajayib
- 2002: Inta Gherhom
- 2003: Salaf Wi Deine
- 2004: Etakhart Kteer
- 2006: Heya El Ayam
- 2008: Kalamak Ya Habibi
- 2009: Allah Kareem
- Skinner, Patricia (October 2004). Syria. Gareth Stevens. pp. 33–. ISBN 978-0-8368-3118-4. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- Behnke, Alison. Syria in Pictures. Twenty-First Century Books. p. 71. ISBN 9780822523963.
- George Wassouf and rally champion Nada Zeidan's marriage reaches the finish line!
- It's a girl! George Wassouf and Nada Zeidan welcome their firstborn into the world
- Naharnet Newsdesk (19 June 2014). "Maher Assad Appears for First Time in Four Years". Naharnet. Naharnet. Retrieved 2014-07-29.