George Wilkinson (bishop)
George Howard Wilkinson, DD (1 May 1833 – 1 December 1907) was Bishop of Truro 1883-1891 and then of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane 1893-1907. He was Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church from 1904, until his death.
Wilkinson was born on 1 May 1833 and educated at Durham School and Oriel College, Oxford. He embarked on an ecclesiastical career with a curacy at Kensington after which he held incumbencies at Seaham Harbour, Auckland, Soho and Eaton Square, a parish in a wealthy part of London, before elevation to the Episcopate in 1883.
Wilkinson married, on 14 July 1857, Caroline Charlotte Des Vœux, daughter of lieutenant-colonel Benfield Des Vœux, fourth son of Sir Charles Des Vœux, 1st Baronet; she died on 6 September 1877. They had three sons and five daughters, including Reverend G. G. Wilkinson, and eldest daughter Constance Charlotte Mary Wilkinson, who married in 1902 Reverend Arthur Edward Davies, Chaplain to her father.
- "New Bishop of St Andrews" The Times, Friday, 28 April 1893; p. 8; Issue 33937; col D
- Dundee Courier, Friday 1 July 1904 p9: "New Primus for Scotland, elevation of Bishop Wilkinson - the distinguished prelate's career"
- Who was Who 1897–1990. London: A. & C. Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, Hamilton & Co 1889
- "Consecration of the Bishop of Truro", The Times Wednesday, 16 May 1883; p. 6; Issue 30821; col F
- Aberdeen Press and Journal, Thursday 12 December 1907 p4: "Sudden death of the Primus" Obituary
- Article by Richard Savill "Last surviving nun of 127 year old order" (p.7) Daily Telegraph Tuesday 4 November 2008
- "Death of the Bishop of St. Andrews". The Times Thursday, 12 December 1907; p. 4; Issue 38514; col C
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Buckland, Augustus Robert (1912). "Wilkinson, George Howard". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography, 1912 supplement. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- "Marriages". The Times (36808). London. 1 July 1902. p. 1.
Edward White Benson
|Bishop of Truro
|Bishop of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane
Charles Edward Plumb
James Butler Knill Kelly
|Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church
Walter John Forbes Robberds
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George Howard Wilkinson.|