George William, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe
|Count, then Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe|
|Reign||13 February 1787 – 21 November 1860|
|Born||20 December 1784|
|Died||21 November 1860(aged 75)|
|Spouse||Princess Ida of Waldeck and Pyrmont|
Adolf I, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe|
Adelheid, Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
|Father||Philipp II, Count of Schaumburg-Lippe|
|Mother||Princess Juliane of Hesse-Philippsthal|
Georg Wilhelm, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe (20 December 1784 – 21 November 1860) was a Count and later Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe.
He succeeded his father as Count of Schaumburg-Lippe on 13 February 1787, but due to his age his mother Princess Juliane acted as regent. However Landgrave William IX of Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel) occupied all of Schaumburg-Lippe except for Wilhelmstein, after invading it to enforce his claim to Schaumburg-Lippe based on Princess Juliane's supposed morganatic ancestry. The Imperial Court in Vienna however ruled in favour of Georg Wilhelm and ordered Landgrave William IX to withdraw, which he did after a two-month occupation.
Schaumburg-Lippe joined the Confederation of the Rhine on 15 December 1807 and was raised to a principality: Georg Wilhelm became the first Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe. In 1815 Schaumburg-Lippe joined the German Confederation. Georg Wilhelm died at Bückeburg and was succeeded as Prince by his son Adolf.
Marriage and children
- Prince Adolf I (1817–1893)
- Princess Mathilde (1818–1891); married Duke Eugen of Württemberg (1820–1875)
- Princess Adelheid, Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (1821–1899)
- Prince Ernst (1822–1831)
- Princess Ida (1824–1894)
- Princess Emma (1827–1828)
- Prince William (1834–1906); married Princess Bathildis of Anhalt-Dessau.
- Prince Hermann (1839–1839)
- Princess Elisabeth (1841–1926); married Prince Wilhelm of Hanau and Horowitz, a morganatic son of Frederick William, Elector of Hesse.
- Otto Preuß: Georg Wilhelm, Fürst zu Schaumburg-Lippe. In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Band 8, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1878, p. 688 f.
George William, Prince of Schaumburg-LippeBorn: 20 December 1784 Died: 21 November 1860
| Count of Schaumburg-Lippe
|Raised to Prince|
| Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe