George William Thompson
George William Thompson (born 1956) is an American international trade attorney, an adjunct professor at George Mason University Schar School of Policy and Government and a published author on international trade. He currently has his own firm, Thompson and Associates, in Washington, DC.
Education and career
In 1987, Thompson became an Attorney Advisor in the General Counsel’s Office of the U.S. International Trade Commission and litigated numerous cases on the Commission’s behalf during his six-year tenure. He was involved in several important cases of the day including litigation involving a dispute with Canada over softwood lumber imports and with Norway over the dumping of salmon in U.S. markets and the investigations concerning Flat-Rolled Carbon Steel Products from numerous countries.
He has also worked for the New York international trade law firm of Donohue & Donohue and the Washington, DC firms of Plaia Schaumberg & deKieffer, Pettit and Martin, and Neville Peterson in which he became a partner.
In 1995, he became an Adjunct Professor at the George Mason University Schar School of Policy and Government. Today, he teaches courses entitled ABCs of Importing and Exporting, International Contract Negotiation, and Export Controls and Compliance.
In 2008, he was appointed a World Trade Organization Arbitrator as a member of the U.S. Roster Dispute Resolution Panel.
Thompson started his own law firm in August 2014, Thompson and Associates, located in Washington, DC. He focusses on counseling regarding international trade issues.
His clients have included Xerox, Pepsi, Polaris Industries and others.
Thompson has written and co-authored several publications regarding international trade issues.
- Transnational Contracts, Thomson-Reuters, 2011-2016. ISBN 9780379102000
- Intellectual Property Rights and United States International Trade Laws (Co-Author), Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2003 ISBN 9780379214383
- Exporting: Regulations, Documentation, Procedures (Co-Author), Global Training Center, 2015 ISBN 1-891249-45-2
- Managing Forwarders, Brokers & Carriers in Your International Supply Chain (Co-Author), Global Training Center, 2015. ISBN 1-891249-44-4
- Customs Law and Administration (Contributing Author). Thomson Reuters, 2011-2015. ISBN 9780379208023
- Judicial Review of International Trade Commission Determinations from October 1990 to September 1992 (Co-Author), International business Journal, v. 25, n. 1, Fall, 1993.
- Political and Policy Dimensions of Foreign Trade Zones (Co-Author), Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law. v. 18, 1987.
- "George Mason University Schar School of Policy and Government". George Mason University website.
- "Faculty Scholarship". George Mason University Schar School of Policy and Government. George Mason University Schar School of Policy and Government.
- "Thompson & Associates Website". Thompson & Associates.
- "The ALGOMA STEEL CORPORATION, LIMITED, Plaintiffs-Appellants, Christianson Pipe, Ltd., Ipsco, Inc. and Ipsco Steel, Inc., Plaintiffs, v. The UNITED STATES and U.S. International Trade Commission, Defendants-Appellees, Lone Star Steel Company, Maverick Tube Corporation, Sawhill Tube Division and Cyclops Corporation, Defendants". Google Scholar. United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit.
- "Silicon Metal from Argentina, Brazil, and the People's Republic of China". Google Books. US International Trade Commission. 1990.
- "Crushes Limestone from Mexico". Google Books. US International Trade Commission. 1992.
- "Certain Stainless Steel Butt-Weld Pipe Fittings from Japan". Google Books. US International Trade Commission. 1988.
- "Certain Flat-Rolled Carbon Steel Products from Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom". Google Books. US International Trade Commission. 1992.
- "289 F. 3d 792 - Xerox Corporation v. United States". Open Jurist. Federal Reporter.
- Thompson, George W. (2011–2016). Transnational Contracts. Thomson-Reuters. ISBN 9780379102000.
- Thompson, George W.; Shapiro, Joel; Nalls, Charles H.; Zissis, Kristina (Fall 1993). "Judicial Review of International Trade Commission Determinations from October 1990 to September 1992". Law and Policy in International Business. 25 (1).
- Thompson, George W.; DeKieffer, D. (1985). "Political and Policy Dimensions of Foreign Trade Zones". Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law. 18.