George Yule (linguist)
|Born||20 March 1947|
|Known for||Writing introductory books on linguistics|
|Education||University of Edinburgh (PhD)|
|Thesis||Aspects of the information structure of spoken discourse (1981)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gillian Brown|
|Other academic advisors||Keith Brown, Jim Miller, Karen Currie de Carvalho|
|Sub-discipline||Discourse analysis, pragmatics|
George Yule was born in Stirling, Scotland in 1947, and became an American citizen in 2000. He now lives in Hawai‘i. He studied at Edinburgh University, completing an M.A. in English Language and Literature (1969), M.Sc. in Applied Linguistics (1978), and a PhD in Linguistics (1981). In his early career, he taught English in Canada, Jamaica, Saudi Arabia and Scotland. After completing his doctorate, he taught linguistics and applied linguistics at the University of Edinburgh, University of Minnesota, Louisiana State University and the University of Hawai‘i. His areas of specialization are Discourse Analysis (Brown and Yule, 1983a; Overstreet and Yule, 2021) and Pragmatics (Yule, 1979; 1996). He has also carried out research and published on task-based language teaching (Brown and Yule, 1983b; Brown, Anderson, Shillcock and Yule, 1984; Tarone and Yule, 1989; Yule, 1997) and English Grammar (Yule, 1998; 2006/2019). His best-known work is an introductory textbook about language (Yule, 1985/2020).
- Brown, G. and G. Yule (1983a) Discourse Analysis Cambridge University Press
- Brown, G. and G. Yule (1983b) Teaching the Spoken Language Cambridge University Press
- Brown, G., A. Anderson, R. Shillcock and G. Yule (1984) Teaching Talk: Strategies for Production and Assessment Cambridge University Press
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule (2021) General Extenders The Forms and Functions of a New Linguistic Category Cambridge University Press
- Tarone, E. and G. Yule (1989) Focus on the Language Learner Oxford University Press
- Yule, G. (1979) Pragmatically controlled anaphora Lingua 49: 127-35
- Yule, G. (1985/2020) The Study of Language (1st/7th editions) Cambridge University Press
- Yule, G. (1996) Pragmatics Oxford University Press
- Yule, G. (1997) Referential Communication Tasks Lawrence Erlbaum
- Yule, G. (1998) Explaining English Grammar Oxford University Press
- Yule, G. (2006/2019) Oxford Practice Grammar Advanced (1st/Revised editions) Oxford University Press
- "Review of The Study of Language". Linguistlist.org. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- Salzmann, Zdenek (1998). "The study of language 2nd edn. By George Yule". Language. 74 (2): 449–450. doi:10.1353/lan.1998.0174. ISSN 1535-0665.
- "George Yule". Oxford University Press. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- Dillon, George L.; Coleman, Linda; Fahnestock, Jeanne; Agar, Michael; Brown, Gillian; Yule, George; Leech, Geoffrey N.; Levinson, Stephen C. (June 1985). "Discourse Analysis". Language. 61 (2): 446. doi:10.2307/414152. JSTOR 414152.