|Known for||Video game design|
Early life and education
George Ziets earned a degree in Psychology from Georgetown University and spent the late 1990s in graduate school. He studied psychology and film, earning an MA from the University of Maryland. In 2001, he secured his first games industry job at Westwood Studios, working as a writer on the short-lived science fiction MMORPG, Earth & Beyond.
Ziets relocated to southern California in 2006 to become a designer at Obsidian Entertainment. He was recruited during development of Neverwinter Nights 2, and after the game shipped he was promoted to Creative Lead on the first Neverwinter Night 2 expansion, Mask of the Betrayer (MotB). Ziets was responsible for MotB’s overall creative vision, including characters and story. MotB shipped in 2007 and received mostly positive reviews, winning praise for its story and narrative elements.
Ziets left Obsidian in 2008 and spent a year at ZeniMax Online Studios, but he returned to Obsidian in 2009 to serve as Creative Lead on Dungeon Siege 3 and its expansion, Dungeon Siege 3: Treasures of the Sun. He expanded the fictional canon of the Dungeon Siege world, producing a 100-page sourcebook that was used as source material by the development team. At some point during the development of Dungeon Siege 3, Ziets also contributed to the writing of Fallout: New Vegas. In 2011, he shared a WGA nomination for Best Videogame Writing with the Fallout: NV writing team and attended the 2011 Writers Guild Awards in Los Angeles.
- "Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer Q&A - Story, Classes, and Enhancements". GameSpot. April 30, 2007. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- Biessener, Adam; Juba, Joe (November 2007). "Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer". Game Informer. Archived from the original on April 20, 2008. Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- Onyett, Charles (October 15, 2007). "Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer Review". IGN. Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- BuckGB (March 3, 2011). "Dungeon Siege 3 Interview". Game Banshee (UGO Networks). Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- Jason Wilson (January 29, 2011). "Dungeon Siege 3". GamePro. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- Brett Molina (December 21, 2010). "Six things you didn't know about 'Dungeon Siege III'". USA Today. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "2011 Writers Guild Awards Videogame Writing Nominees Announced". Writers Guild of America, West. January 6, 2011. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "George Ziets on Torment, Mask of the Betrayer and Pillars of Eternity". GameBanshee. March 31, 2015. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- Ziets, George (April 2, 2014). "Updated our Journal (30): George Ziets Joins Full Time". Kickstarter. Retrieved April 11, 2016.