This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mayor of Lausanne since 1957 and member of the Swiss National Council since 1958, he was elected to the Swiss Federal Council on 5 December 1973 and handed over office on 31 December 1983. He was affiliated to the Free Democratic Party. During his office time he held the following departments:
He was President of the Confederation in 1980.
After retiring from the Federal Council, he presided the foundation of the Historical Dictionary of Switzerland (1988–1992).
- Aspects de l'agriculture vaudoise à la fin de l'Ancien Régime : la terre, le blé, les charges; F. Rouge, Lausanne; (1949) -- thesis
- The challenge of neutrality : diplomacy and the defense of Switzerland; Lexington books, Lanham (translated from Le défi de la neutralité, 2001) ISBN 0-7391-0274-5
- Histoire générale, de 1789 à nos jours; Payot, Lausanne (1st ed., 1957)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Georges-André Chevallaz.|
- Alain Clavien: Georges-André Chevallaz in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Profile of Georges-André Chevallaz with election results on the website of the Swiss Federal Council.
| Member of the Swiss Federal Council
|This article about a mayor in Switzerland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a Swiss historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|