Georges Creek Railway
|Dates of operation||July 10, 2006–Present|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Length||14 miles (23 km)|
The Georges Creek Railway (reporting mark GCK) is a shortline railroad in Western Maryland that performs contract switching and owns a 14-mile line between Westernport and Carlos. The railroad is headquartered at 119 Pratt St. in Luke in the former Luke Post Office. Gerald Altizer and Pat Stakem are the primary partners in the company.
Acquisition of the Georges Creek Subdivision
The acquisition of track for the Georges Creek Railway began 2005, the year CSX had begun the process of abandoning their Georges Creek Subdivision due to two washouts along the right of way and few customers. In December 2005, the deed for the northern 8.54 miles of track from Morrison, Maryland to Carlos, Maryland was transferred to WMS, LLC which would go bankrupt a year later due to investor difficulties. The following year, the Eighteen Thirty Group, LLC and Georges Creek Railway, LLC, filed to acquire and operate the line as Class III common carriers, having purchased the line out of bankruptcy court.
On May 15, 2015, Eighteen Thirty Group with the Georges Creek Railway, LLC filed a notice of intent to acquire 5.4 miles of rail line from CSX: 4.8 miles of the Georges Creek Subdivision between Barton and Westernport, and 0.6 miles of the Thomas Subdivision. The GCK entered an agreement with Eighteen Thirty Group to operate on these lines. This acquisition brought the entirety of the former Georges Creek Subdivision under the control of GCK.
As of March 2016, several right of way improvement projects have been undertaken, but the washouts have not been repaired keeping the line north of the village of Moscow inoperable.
- "Contact Info". Georges Creek Railway. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Sawyers, Michael A. (2006-08-04). "Trains in Georges Creek". Cumberland Times-News. Cumberland, MD.
- "Georges Creek Railway". Archived from the original on 2014-02-20. Retrieved June 14, 2009.
- Director Of Proceedings. "DUNCAN SMITH AND GERALD ALTIZER-CONTINUANCE IN CONTROL-EIGHTEEN THIRTY GROUP, LLC AND GEORGE CREEK RAILWAY, LLC Notice Of Exemption". stb.dot.gov. Surface Transportation Board. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- U.S. Surface Transportation Board, Washington, D.C. (2015-05-15). "Eighteen Thirty Group, LLC–Acquisition Exemption–Lines of CSX Transportation, Inc." Federal Register, 80 FR 28046.
- Georges Creek Railway, LLC. (2015-05-01)."Verified Notice of Exemption of Georges Creek Railway, LLC." Notice filed with the Surface Transportation Board. Docket No. FD 35928.
- Altizer, Gerald. "George's Creek Railway Roster". Yahoo Groups. Yahoo!. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Craig, R.; Gunnoe, Chase. "George's Creek Railway Motive Power". The Diesel Shop. Retrieved 3 March 2016.