|Born||25 March 1949|
|Alma mater||École hôtelière de Lausanne|
|Title||Former chairman and CEO of Carrefour|
|Term||2012 - July 2017|
After starting his career at Hilton Worldwide, Plassat worked for Eurest and Groupe Casino, where he served as CEO and then chairman. While at Casino, he insisted on giving stock options to all employees, including cashiers. However, he left the company in 1997 after a disagreement with Jean-Charles Naouri, his successor as CEO, over the future of the company.
In June 2012, Plassat became CEO of Carrefour, replacing Lars Olofsson. He quickly reconsidered the group's strategy in France and internationally and obtained excellent results with growth in all regions except from Asia. He notably decided to give store managers the power to adapt to local tastes. In June 2015, he was renewed as Chairman and CEO after obtaining 90% of the votes at the group's shareholders general assembly.
He enjoys playing rugby and going to the opera.
- Anne-Sophie Cathala, Georges Plassat, de l’école hôtelière à Carrefour , Le Figaro, 26/01/2012
- Christina Passariello, Nadya Masidlover and Inti Landauro, Carrefour Names CEO for Retail Turnaround, The Wall Street Journal,
- Scheherazade Daneshkhu, Plassat sets out Carrefour recovery plan, Financial Times, July 9, 2012
- George Plassat, corporate-executives.com. Retrieved June 5, 2013
- "Georges Plassat" ECR Europe Forum. Retrieved June 5, 2013
- Carrefour picks retail veteran for new turnaround bid, Reuters. Retrieved January 30, 2012
- Up the right aisle, The Economist. Retrieved February 16, 2013
- Consumer Goods Forum website, Board of Directors
- "The Board of Directors Chose Alexandre Bompard as the New Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Carrefour with Effect as of July 18, 2017" (Press release). Business Wire. 9 June 2017.
- Investment Professionals Pick France's Top CEOs, CFOs & IR Professionals, Market Wired. Retrieved March 2, 2016