Georges Vanier Secondary School
|Georges Vanier Secondary School
Woodbine Junior High School
Scholarship, Spirit, Social Responsibility! We believe it! We live it!
|2900-3000 Don Mills Road
Don Valley Village, North York, Ontario, M2J 3B6
|School type||Public Middle school
Public High school
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(North York Board of Education)
|Area trustee||Ken Lister|
|School number||3345 / 1021118
3446 / 921360
|Principal||Vanier: Tamara Grealis-Ellam
Woodbine: Alisha Cashore
|Colour(s)||Maroon and White
Red and Green
|Team name||Vanier Vikings|
Georges Vanier Secondary School (also named as Georges Vanier SS, GVSS, Georges Vanier or Vanier) and Woodbine Junior High School (shortly called as Woodbine JHS, WJHS and Woodbine) are two schools consisted of a junior high school (Grades 7 to 9) and high school (Grades 10 to 12) located in North York, Ontario. Owned and Operated by the North York Board of Education (which is now merged into the Toronto District School Board), the school was named after Canada’s first French-Canadian Governor General of Canada, Georges Vanier. Attached to the Vanier-Woodbine campus is the North-East Year Round Alternative Centre.
Opened in 1968, Georges Vanier was selected by the Canadian Education Association as one of 21 exemplary schools across Canada. The school offers specialized programs such as MSc.com, Program2 Art, "One World Youth Arts Project" program, BSc@Van, the Aerospace and "Focus on Information Technology" program, in addition to offering an Advanced Placement program and a Centennial College Partnership program. These programs give students the opportunity to earn nationally recognized certifications.
- Ravi Baichwal, Chicago-based news anchor for ABC News, former national reporter and anchor for CTV News.
- Kirk McLean, the goaltender for the Vancouver Canucks that lead them to the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Mark McKoy, Track & Field Olympian
- Benny Hinn, TV evangelist and faith healer.
- Geddy Lee, lead singer and bassist of the rock band Rush
- Alex Lifeson, guitarist of the rock band Rush
- Maurice LaMarche, two-time Emmy-winning voice actor for Futurama, also Emmy-nominated in 1998 for his voice acting work as "The Brain" in Pinky and the Brain.
- Howie Mandel, comedian and Deal Or No Deal host, attended for half a year, and Vanier is the unnamed high school he references as the one to which he called in contractors for an estimate for an unauthorized addition to the east wing. He was expelled for the prank.
- Thomas Cully Hollywood Film & Television Producer
- Garth Richardson, Grammy nominated engineer, Juno nominated and Juno winning music producer
- Alannah Myles, recording artist and songwriter best known for the 1989 hit single, Black Velvet
- David Bendeth, Award winning music producer, writer, mixing engineer and recording artist.
- Dennis Kolosov, York University scientist.
- Brian Regendanz, 4 time Juno award winner with 2 Grammy Nominations as production and artist manager, President & co-founder of Deadbolt Music
- List of high schools in Ontario
- Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School - A school named after George's son in Scarborough located in the former Tabor Park Vocational School facility.
- Georges Vanier Secondary School
- Woodbine Junior High School
- TDSB Profile (Vanier)
- TDSB Profile (Woodbine)
- TDSB Profile (NEYRAC)